1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving that 1 is positive

1. Jul 15, 2013 #1
    This is from Lang's "A First Couse in Calculus".

In chapter 1 he makes two statements regarding positivity:

POS 1. If ##a##, ##b## are positive, so is the product ##ab## and the sum ##a+b##.

POS 2. If ##a## is a number, then either ##a## is positive, or ##a=0##, or ##-a## is positive, and these possibilities are mutually exclusive.

("POS" meaning positive or postulate I guess.)

His proof that 1 is positive (using only the above statements) goes like this:

"By POS 2, we know that either 1 or -1 is positive. If 1 is not positive, -1 is positive. By POS 1, it must then follow that (-1)(-1) is positive. But this product is equal to 1. Consequently, it must be 1 which is positive, and not -1."

It seems like this proof hinges on that fact that (-1)(-1) is positive. However, since both (1)(1) and (-1)(-1) are positive, from this alone we really can't conclude that 1 or -1 are negative. Right? To me it'd make more sense to say that (-1)+(-1) is not positive, and by POS 1 -1 cannot be positive. By the same logic we can then claim that 1 is the positive one.

I know this is probably an elementary mistake on my part, but I'm lost.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2013 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Do you understand this proof? Do you somehow disagree with it? It's not clear to me.

Well, we know that ##(-1)(-1)=1##. So if ##(-1)(-1)## is positive, then ##1## is positive.

How would you know that ##(-1)+(-1)## is not positive?

4. Jul 15, 2013 #3
    I don't understand the reasoning in the proof; I'm not questioning it's validity. I apologize if I was unclear.

(-1)+(-1) is not positive, since it's < 0. Or, geometrically one can view it as going further left on a number line, further from 0 (ie. becoming more negative).

I think this is what I don't understand. Wouldn't (-1)(-1)=1 imply that -1 is positive, since it's product is positive? :confused:.

5. Jul 15, 2013 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Of course it's not positive. But my question is, how would you prove it using only POS 1 and POS 2?

The axiom says: "If a and b are positive, then ab is positive". You somehow seem to think that if ab is positive then a and b are positive. That is not true at all.
    It's not because a product of two elements is positive, that the elements themselves are.

6. Jul 15, 2013 #5
    I really don't see how you could.

I understand that the product of two numbers may be positive if both are positive, or both are negative. But from the manner in which POS 1 is defined, it seems like he's saying that, because the product ab is positive, then a and b are positive. Obviously this isn't true, but I don't understand this logic.

7. Jul 15, 2013 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Exactly, this is why your proof doesn't work.

POS 1 doesn't say that at all. I don't really understand why you think that it says that. POS 1 clearly says that if a and b are positive, then ab is positive. It says nothing about when ab is positive.

8. Jul 15, 2013 #7
    I wasn't claiming to prove that in terms of only POS 1 and POS 2.

I feel like I'm angering you. I'm just going to go think some more about it; I'm slow at these things.

9. Jul 15, 2013 #8

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You're not angering me at all! My apologies if I gave you that impression.
    I simply don't understand what exactly your problem is, so I can't really help until I understand.

10. Jul 15, 2013 #9

lurflurf

Homework Helper

The argument is
    suppose -1 is positive
    then by pos 1
    (-1)(-1)=1 is positive
    this violates pos 2
    thus -1 must not be positive

another approach would be
    suppose either -1 or 1 is positive
    that is 1 is not 0 (pos 2)
    (-1)(-1)=1
    (1)(1)=1
    by pos 1 we conclude
    1 is positive

11. Jul 15, 2013 #10
    How does (-1)(-1) being positive violate POS 2?

12. Jul 15, 2013 #11

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Contradiction. The assumption that -1 is positive means that 1 is positive. A number and its additive inverse cannot both be positive by POS2.

13. Jul 15, 2013 #12

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If a = -1 and b = -1, then by Postulate 1, in order to conclude that a and b are both positive, we must calculate the product ab and the sum a+b.

Now ab = (-1)(-1) = 1 : so far so good.
    But a + b = -1 + -1 = -2 : there is a different result here which is not positive

We can conclude thus that -1 is not positive. It's the word 'and' in the postulate which is key, where it specifies that the product AND the sum of a and b must be positive.

14. Jul 15, 2013 #13

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I suspect that it stands for "positive" since these are axioms or postulates describing "positive" numbers.

Yes, both (1)(1) and (-1)(-1) are positive. However, we can from "Pos 2" (the "trichotomy" axiom) conclude that (since 1 is not the additive identity it is NOT 0) 1 is either positive or negative. If 1 is positive, we are done. So assume that 1 is negative and derive a contradiction. That is, assume that -1 is positive.

HOW do you say that? Of course, (-1)+ (-1)= -2 but how do you know that is not positive?

15. Jul 15, 2013 #14
    I'm also beginner like wifi, but maybe I can rephrase this informally. (Please correct me also in case of fallacy)

I want to know whether -1 or 1 is positive. The clear thing is 1 is not 0 because of the existence of multiplicative identity. Any numbers squared ##a^2## will always be positive. If we multiply (-1)(-1), then it will be positive. If we multiply (1)(1) it will also be positive. But what is (1)(1)?

We also know for certain that (1)(1) = 1 because of the identity axiom, not only because of pos1 and pos2. (a)(1) = (a)

If -1 is positive then (-1)(-1) should be (-1), and consequently (1)(1) = -1. Surely this is not right.

The important point I think is the special case that ##a^2## will always be positive, where a is not 0. I think if we only know that (1)(1) = (1) and the special case of number squared \, it's already enough to prove that 1 > 0. (Is this right?)

I also think it might be possible to agree on the fundamental definition to switch sign of positive and negative. So we treat 1 as negative and -1 as positive.

I know (1)(1) = 1. Still, I'm not sure whether it's positive or negative but I know ##a^2## must be positive for any non-zero number. In that case 1 is positive, and so (1)(1). If it's positive it's not negative. Hopefully this is not a circular argument and you can understand it.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  16. Jul 15, 2013 #15

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You do not have to calculate a+b. Calculating ab is all that is needed.

There is two items left out of the proof, one of which is showing that (-1)(-1)=1. The supplied proof merely says "But this product is equal to 1." Proving that (-1)(-1) is indeed 1 is trivial.

If -1 is positive, then so is 1 by POS1 and the fact that (-1)(-1) is 1. But this contradicts POS2. That's all that is needed to show that -1 is not positive.

What about 1? Assuming 1 is positive does not lead to a contradiction. Lack of a contradiction is not sufficient, because POS1 says nothing about the possibility of 1 being zero. Dealing with that possibility is the other item left omitted from the proof.

17. Jul 15, 2013 #16
    This is exactly how I see it!! How is this not correct?

18. Jul 15, 2013 #17

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You don't know whether -2 is positive or negative. Using the sum doesn't accomplish a thing.

19. Jul 15, 2013 #18
    Hm. I think I'm getting closer to understanding this.

So, at a certain point in the proof we've basically proved that -1 and 1 are both positive. This certainly isn't the case, because by POS 2 we know only one of them can be positive. But how we do we know that it's 1 that's positive?

20. Jul 15, 2013 #19

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You know that -1 is not positive, so by POS2 -1 can only be zero or negative. Thus 1 is either zero or positive. All that's left is to show that 1 is not zero.

21. Jul 15, 2013 #20
    I wonder if it would be possible to leave the contradiction argument entirely by deciding with certainty that 1 is in fact positive and not 0, i.e knowing (1)(1) = 1 and squaring any non-zero number will produce a positive number.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook