1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving that a subset is open

1. Sep 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that the subset D={(x,y)| x≠0 and y≠0} is an open set in R^2

2. Relevant equations
    Open set: U is a subset of R^n. U is an open set when for every point X1, contained within U, there exists some open disk centered around X1 with radius r>0, that is completely contained within U. Or for simplicity's sake, a set U is open if it does not contain any of its boundary points.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have an understanding of what makes up an open set and know why this set is open, but i have no idea as to how I am meant to prove this, graphically or analytically( ideal method).

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2013 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

What does the notation f(x;y) mean?

4. Sep 7, 2013 #3
    Sorry about that, I miss quoted the question

5. Sep 7, 2013 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

First, tell us the definition of an open set.

6. Sep 7, 2013 #5

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So let (x, y) be a point in D. Can you find a radius r such that all points in the open ball of radius r around this point are in D?

First you may want to try drawing this, then proving it analytically. Note that for most points it's pretty trivial - the interesting case is for when (x, y) is close to (0, 0).

7. Sep 7, 2013 #6

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Also, presuming you can always find ##r## for arbitrary ##(x,y) ≠ (0,0)##, what happens at ##(0,0)## exactly?

Get reeeeeally close to ##0##. Can you always find an ##r## such that ##(0,0)## is not contained any neighborhood of your point?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted