1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving that if F is conservative, F can be written as the gradient of a scalar field

1. Aug 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The proof begins: Suppose that F is conservative. Then a scalar field ε(r) can be defined as the line integral of F from the origin to the point r. So ∫F dot dr = ε(r), where the limits of integration are from 0 to r.

The next step, however, eludes me: From the definition of an integral, it then follows that an infinitesimal change in ε is given by dε = F dot dr.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Usually total differentials are related to partial derivatives, tangent planes, and Taylor expansions. I'm failing to fill in the intermediate steps in deriving dε = F dot dr from ∫F dot dr = ε(r) using the "definition of integral". Any insight?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2012 #2
    Re: Proving that if F is conservative, F can be written as the gradient of a scalar f

Upon second thought:

d/dr [∫F dot dr] = d/dr [∫F dot ndr] , where n is a unit vector in the direction of dr. So,

d/dr [∫F dot ndr] = d/dr [ε(r)]. Thus,

F dot n = d/dr [ε(r)]

and so, multiplying by dr:

dε(r) = F dot ndr = F dot dr

Is this valid?

4. Aug 15, 2012 #3

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Proving that if F is conservative, F can be written as the gradient of a scalar f

Close, but [itex]\mathbf{r}[/itex] is a vector, and so an infinitesimal change in [itex]\epsilon ( \mathbf{r} )[/itex] is really

[tex]d\epsilon = \frac{ \partial \epsilon}{ \partial x} dx + \frac{ \partial \epsilon}{ \partial y} dy + \frac{ \partial \epsilon}{ \partial z} dz = \mathbf{ \nabla } \epsilon \cdot d\mathbf{r}[/tex]

5. Aug 15, 2012 #4

Hi gabbagabbahey! I understand that what you posted is the equation for the total differential, I am just struggling to understand how from ∫F dot dr = ε(r) (where the limits of integration are from 0 to r) one deduces the result- in particular, using the "definition of integral".

That is, how can we derive dε = F dot dr from what we have above?

6. Aug 16, 2012 #5

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, to me, the statement "From the definition of an integral" means using the fundamental theorem of calculus (FTC). For a simple one-dimensional integral, FTC tells you that if [itex]F(b)-F(a) = \int_a^b f(x) dx[/itex], then [itex]F'(x)=f(x)[/itex] (or [itex]dF = f(x)dx[/itex]).

For line integrals, this generalizes to the statement that if [itex]F(\mathbf{b}) - F(\mathbf{a}) = \int_{ \mathbf{a} }^{ \mathbf{b} } \mathbf{f} ( \mathbf{r} ) \cdot d \mathbf{r}[/itex] regardless of which path you choose for the integration, then [itex]\mathbf{\nabla} F = \mathbf{f} ( \mathbf{r} )[/itex] (or, equivalently [itex]dF=\mathbf{f} ( \mathbf{r} ) \cdot d \mathbf{r}[/itex])

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook