Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving that Maxwell's equations for the propagation of electromagnetic wave are Lorentz invariant

1. Jul 20, 2015 #1
    I want to know how can i prove that Maxwell's equations for the propagation of electromagnetic wave are Lorentz invariant.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2015 #2

Mentz114

Gold Member

4. Jul 20, 2015 #3
    Yes, this give me a clear understanding on both the lorentz and maxwell. Thank you

5. Jul 20, 2015 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Puh, that looks complicated ;-)). It's much easier to reformulate Maxwell's equations in manifestly covariant form with four-vectors and four-tensors. Then you immideately see, without to preform the pretty time-consuming Lorentz transformations, because then it's clear that the equations are covariant by construction!

6. Jul 21, 2015 #5
    Can you elaborate on what you are talking about....

7. Jul 21, 2015 #6

Mentz114

Gold Member

Here is an introduction https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covariant_formulation_of_classical_electromagnetism.

When equations are written in tensor form then invariance under certain transformations is 'built-in'.

Transformed tensor contractions eg ##v^a v_a \rightarrow \Lambda v^a {\Lambda}^{-1} v_a ## do not change because contravariant components transform with the inverse of the transformation of the covariant ones.

For instance ##f_{\alpha} = F_{\alpha\beta}J^{\beta}## is manifestly covariant because ##F## and ##J## are tensors. The contraction ##f^\alpha f_\alpha## is unaffected by a Lorentz transformation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook