1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving that V+J=k[x]

1. May 6, 2005 #1
    J=sum from i=1->n of <X_i^q - X_i>
    V={polynomials f with deg in X_i < q)

k is a field with q elements. k[X] is the polynomial ring in "n" variables".

i am supposed to prove that V+J=k[x].

i was told that this could be done with induction for the number "k", by using the following notion.given a polynomial f E k[x]:

k0=the sum of L_j. j=1..."number of monomials".
    L_j is the sum of of the "degrees" of the "indeterminates/variables" which are >q in monomial "j".

so L_j=sum of all s_i, where s_i > q. s_i are the exponents of the monomial which are >q.

so somehow i have to show that this is true for <k0 and then it is true for k0. or something like that?

does anyone know what i'm saying here? it might be a little confusing. just ask if there's anything you don't understand.

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2005 #2
    [itex]$ k0=\sum\limits_{j\in \left\{ 1,...,\text{number of monomials}\right\} }L_{j}$[/itex]

4. May 6, 2005 #3
    i was thinking that if given a polynomial f in k[x].

then if i reduce all monomials in f such that all exponents are < q. then the reduced f will be in V, not?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?