1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving the diff of any odd int minus any even int is odd. I got 2t-1, will it work

1. Sep 17, 2006 #1
    Hello everyone.
    I'm so close to this proof, that i think it might be right. But it doesn't follow the definition exactly, or does it? The definition of an odd number is: n is odd <=> There exists an integer k such that n = 2k + 1. My conclusion came out with 2k-1. Here is my proof.

26. The difference of any odd integer minus any even integer is odd.

proof: suppose a is an even integer and b is an odd integer. [we must show b-a is odd]. By definition of even and odd, a = 2r and b = 2s+1 for some integers r and s. By subsitution and algebra, b - a = (2s+1) - 2r = 2s+1-2r = 2(s-r+1)-1. Let t = s-r+1. Then t is an integer, because sums and differences of integers are integers. Thus b-a = 2t-1, where t is an integer, and so, by definition of odd, b-a is odd.

Because 2t-1 is not 2t+1, is this proof showing that the difference of any odd integer minus any even integer is not odd? or did i screw up somewhere? Thanks!
    :biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2006 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

Why did you add this one inside the parantheses? Without it you have something in the form you want.

4. Sep 17, 2006 #3
    Ahh my bad! thank u for catching that! Now its:
    26. The difference of any odd integer minus any even integer is odd.

proof: suppose a is an even integer and b is an odd integer. [we must show b-a is odd]. By definition of even and odd, a = 2r and b = 2s+1 for some integers r and s. By subsitution and algebra, b - a = (2s+1) - 2r = 2s+1-2r = 2(s-r) +1. Let t = s-r. Then t is an integer, because sums and differences of integers are integers. Thus b-a = 2t+1, where t is an integer, and so, by definition of odd, b-a is odd.

Thanks again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?