Difference of Any Odd Int Minus Any Even Int is Odd?

• Thread starter mr_coffee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    even Work
In summary, the conversation discusses a proof that the difference of any odd integer minus any even integer is odd. The proof shows that by definition, an odd integer can be expressed as 2k+1, and by substitution and algebra, the difference between an odd and even integer can be expressed as 2t+1, where t is an integer. This supports the conclusion that the difference of any odd integer minus any even integer is odd.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone.
I'm so close to this proof, that i think it might be right. But it doesn't follow the definition exactly, or does it? The definition of an odd number is: n is odd <=> There exists an integer k such that n = 2k + 1. My conclusion came out with 2k-1. Here is my proof.

26. The difference of any odd integer minus any even integer is odd.

proof: suppose a is an even integer and b is an odd integer. [we must show b-a is odd]. By definition of even and odd, a = 2r and b = 2s+1 for some integers r and s. By subsitution and algebra, b - a = (2s+1) - 2r = 2s+1-2r = 2(s-r+1)-1. Let t = s-r+1. Then t is an integer, because sums and differences of integers are integers. Thus b-a = 2t-1, where t is an integer, and so, by definition of odd, b-a is odd.

Because 2t-1 is not 2t+1, is this proof showing that the difference of any odd integer minus any even integer is not odd? or did i screw up somewhere? Thanks!
:biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
mr_coffee said:
b - a = (2s+1) - 2r = 2s+1-2r = 2(s-r+1)-1.

Why did you add this one inside the parantheses? Without it you have something in the form you want.

Ahh my bad! thank u for catching that! Now its:
26. The difference of any odd integer minus any even integer is odd.

proof: suppose a is an even integer and b is an odd integer. [we must show b-a is odd]. By definition of even and odd, a = 2r and b = 2s+1 for some integers r and s. By subsitution and algebra, b - a = (2s+1) - 2r = 2s+1-2r = 2(s-r) +1. Let t = s-r. Then t is an integer, because sums and differences of integers are integers. Thus b-a = 2t+1, where t is an integer, and so, by definition of odd, b-a is odd.

Thanks again!

1. What is the definition of an odd integer?

An odd integer is any integer that is not divisible by 2, meaning it leaves a remainder of 1 when divided by 2. Examples of odd integers include -3, 11, and 27.

2. What is an even integer?

An even integer is any integer that is divisible by 2, meaning it leaves a remainder of 0 when divided by 2. Examples of even integers include -4, 10, and 36.

3. How do you find the difference between two integers?

To find the difference between two integers, you subtract the smaller number from the larger number. For example, the difference between 10 and 6 would be 4, as 10 - 6 = 4.

4. Why is the difference of any odd integer minus any even integer always an odd integer?

This is because when you subtract an even integer from an odd integer, the result will always be an odd integer. This is due to the fact that an odd integer minus an even integer will always have a remainder of 1, making it an odd integer.

5. Can you give an example of the difference of any odd integer minus any even integer being an odd integer?

Yes, for example, the difference between the odd integer 9 and the even integer 4 is 5, which is also an odd integer. This holds true for any other pair of odd and even integers, as long as the odd integer is larger than the even integer.