Proving the Divergence of a Sequence

In summary, to prove that a certain sequence is divergent, the approach is to assume that it is convergent and use the fact that for any real number e greater than 0, mod(xn/l)<e holds for all n>no. However, by choosing e to make things easier and choosing k and k+1 both greater than no, a contradiction can be obtained. The example given in class shows that the sequence cannot converge as it has a convergent subsequence for n even and odd terms converging to -1. To formally prove this, it is important to remember the order of quantifiers in the statement. To show that the sequence does not converge, it is necessary to prove that for all x, there exists
Claire84
Hey there, one of our h/work questions is to prove that a certain sequence is divergent, where xn=(-1)^n for every natural n. I started off by assuming that it was infact convergent so wrote that mod(xn/l)<e where e is any real number greater than zero, and this holds for any n>no. But from the one example we did in class, it seems you can choose your e to make things a little easier for yourself and then choose k and k+1 both greater than no to allow you to obtain the contradiction that you need. I mean I started to try things like mod(xn/l)<1 and then choose mod(xk-l)<1 and (xk+2-1)<1. Then I had 2=mod((k+2)-k) which was equal to mod(xk+2 +xk) but this clearly doesn't seem to get me anywhere (well not from where I'm sitting). I've been trying stuff like this but can't seem to get anything to work. Could someone please put me in the right direction? Thanks!

Btw, when I've written stuff like xk+2 I just mean xsubscript k+2 :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
it has a convergent subsequence - for n even the subsequence tends to 1. It also has the odd terms converging to -1. thus the sequence cannot converge or any two subsequences must converge and converge to the same thing. No need to use epsilon, but we can do it that way if we must, it's just messy, the start there is to suppose ti converges to x, if x is positive do something with e= 1/2 and the odd terms, if x is -ve do it with e=1/2 and the even terms.

Pfft why do they give us a messy one to prove? We're only analysis babies!

So I've said mod(xn-l)<1/2 for all n>no, so l is what it's converging to (just what I'm used too).
Now we take mod(xk-l)<1/2 and mod(xk+1)<1/2

Taking the situation first where k is an even power so the limit is negative we have

mod(1+l)<1/2 and mod(-1+l)<1/2

Then have 1=mod((1+l)-l)<mod((1+l)+(-l+1))<mod(1+l)+mod(-l+1)<1/2 +1/2<1 which obv doesn't make sense, but I think this is v.wrong. Ooops.

Remember you order of qunatifiers.

to show x(n) converges means

there is an x

such that

for all e>0

there is an N(e)

such that

for all n>N(e)

|x(n) - x| <e

To show it does not converge

for all x

there is an e

such that

for all N(e)

there is an n>N(e)

with |x(n)-x| >e

So to show it does not converge (without using our brains) we say, suppose x is arbitary.

case 1 x positive, let e =1/2, then for any N, take the next odd number greater than N, say it is n, then |x_n-x| >1/2 cos x_n is -1 and every postive number is more than 1/2 away from -1

case 2 if x is negative, let e=1/2, then for any N take the next even number after N, call it n, then |x_n-x|>1/2 cos every negative number is mroe than 1/2 away from 1.

If you want to be formal:

Assume (by contradiction) that the series converges to some value [tex]s[/tex]. Then given any [tex]\epsilon > 0[/tex] there must be some [tex]N[/tex] such that [tex]n>N \rightarrow |s-\sum_{i=1}{n}(-1}^i|<e[/tex]. Now if [tex]\epsilon<0.5[/tex] consider that [tex]|\sum_{i=1}{N+1}(-1)^i-\sum_{i=1}{N+1}(-1)^i|=1[/tex] and that [tex]\sum_{i=1}{N+1}(-1)^i = s + e_1[/tex] and [tex]\sum_{i=1}{N+1}(-1)^i=s-e_2[/tex] where [tex]|e_1|,|e_2| < \epsilon[/tex] so by the triangle inequality [tex]|e_1+e_2|<2 \epsilon < 1[/tex] but by substitution we also have [tex]|\sum_{i=1}{N+1}(-1)^i-\sum_{i=1}{N+1}(-1)^i|=|s + e_1 - (s - e_2)| = |e_1 + e_2| = 1[/tex] this is a contradiction therefore the inital assumption must be incorrect.

If you understand this, you should have no trouble generalizing it to include all series [tex]\sum a_i[/tex] where [tex]\lim_{i \rightarrow \infty} a_i \neq 0[/tex]

but the question wasn't on series.

Okies, thanks for that I'm pleasantly surprised by how much simpler it was than I first thought!

Just one more ickle quiestion. If we have xn tending to l as n tends to infinity, how do we prove that modxn tends to mod(l) as n tends to infinity.

So we have mod(xn-l)<e for all n>N

Then I put mod(xn-l)>mod(xn)-mod(l) although that was a tad pointless I think... Then I put mod(xn-l)>=mod(mod(xn)-mod(l)) but I'm not sure if that's valid or not...

Use the folllowing inequality:

||x|-|y|| < |x-y|

Thanks, I didn't know that existed. I'd only ever seen the triangle one before, but never that one. Is there any way of proving it? Sorry, I'm being a pain. Thanks again! :wink:

It follows from the triangle inequality:

|x| = |x-y+y| < |x-y| + |y|

so |x|-|y| < |x-y|

and by symmetry

|y|-|x|<|y-x|=|x-y|

so -|x-y| <|x|-|y| < |x-y|

ie ||x|-|y|| < |x-y|

1. What is the concept of "proving the divergence of a sequence" in mathematics?

The concept of proving the divergence of a sequence is a fundamental topic in mathematics that involves analyzing the behavior of a sequence as it approaches infinity. It is used to determine whether a sequence of numbers will continue to increase or decrease without bound, or if it will eventually converge to a specific value.

2. How can one prove the divergence of a sequence?

To prove the divergence of a sequence, one can use several methods such as the comparison test, the limit comparison test, or the integral test. These methods involve evaluating the behavior of the sequence, either by comparing it to a known divergent sequence or by evaluating its limit as n approaches infinity.

3. What is the significance of proving the divergence of a sequence?

Proving the divergence of a sequence is an important concept in mathematics as it helps us understand the behavior of a sequence as it approaches infinity. It is also useful in determining the convergence or divergence of series, which has many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

4. Can a sequence be both divergent and convergent?

No, a sequence cannot be both divergent and convergent. A sequence is either convergent if it approaches a specific value as n approaches infinity, or it is divergent if it continues to increase or decrease without bound. It cannot exhibit both behaviors simultaneously.

5. Are there any real-life examples of sequences that exhibit divergence?

Yes, there are several real-life examples of sequences that exhibit divergence. For instance, the population growth of a species can be modeled by a divergent sequence as it continues to increase without bound. Another example is the growth of a company's profits, which may diverge if the company continues to expand and make more profits over time.