Proving the polynomial formula by induction

In summary: )= n! * (a1^n + a1^(n-1)a2 + a1^(n-2)a2^2 + ... + a1a2^(n-1) + am^(n+1)) + (a1+ a2 + ... +am)(a1+ a2 + ... +am)^n= n! * (a1^n + a1^(n-1)a2 + a1^(n-2)a2^2 + ... + a1a2^(n-1) + am^(n+1)) + (a1+ a2 + ... +am)(n! * (a1^n + a1^(n-1)a2 + a1
quasar_4

Homework Statement

(a1 + ... + ak)^n = n! [tex]\Sigma[/tex] (a^p)/p! = n! [tex]\Sigma[/tex] (a1^p1 *** ak^pk)/(p1!***pk!)

(the 1...k are subscripts, not coefficients)

Prove this formula through induction on k beginning with the case k = 2 (binomial
formula).

Homework Equations

Just the above formula; the binomial formula is the case where k =2, which is where my induction should begin.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I think I can kind of do the k=2 step (with minor confusion about indices that I should be able to resolve). But what confuses me is the next part. I'm supposed to be doing the induction on k, so I guess I assume it's true for k = m, then show that it's true for k = m+1. But I'm confused about how to do this... if it's true for k = m then I have (a1+...+am)^ n = the formula above; how do I show anything for m+1? If I put in
(a1+...+a(m+1))^n, I can't just multiply things out... so I'm a bit confused. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear forum post author,

Thank you for your question. It seems like you have a good understanding of the induction process, but are unsure of how to apply it in this particular case. Let me try to guide you through the steps of the proof.

First, let's review the binomial formula for k = 2:

(a1 + a2)^n = n! * (a1^n + a1^(n-1)a2 + a1^(n-2)a2^2 + ... + a1a2^(n-1) + a2^n)

Now, to start the induction, we want to assume that the formula is true for k = m. In other words, we will assume that:

(a1 + a2 + ... + am)^n = n! * (a1^n + a1^(n-1)a2 + a1^(n-2)a2^2 + ... + a1a2^(n-1) + am^n)

Next, we want to show that this implies that the formula is also true for k = m+1. In other words, we want to show that:

(a1 + a2 + ... + am + a(m+1))^n = n! * (a1^n + a1^(n-1)a2 + a1^(n-2)a2^2 + ... + a1a2^(n-1) + a(m+1)^n)

To do this, we can use the binomial formula for k = m+1:

(a1 + a2 + ... + am + a(m+1))^n = n! * (a1^n + a1^(n-1)a2 + a1^(n-2)a2^2 + ... + a1a2^(n-1) + a(m+1)^n)

= n! * (a1^n + a1^(n-1)a2 + a1^(n-2)a2^2 + ... + a1a2^(n-1) + am^(n+1) + a(m+1)^n)

= n! * (a1^n + a1^(n-1)a2 + a1^(n-2)a2^2 + ... + a1a2^(n-1) + am^(n+1) + (a1+ a2 + ... +am)a(m+1)^n

1. What is the polynomial formula?

The polynomial formula is a mathematical expression that represents a polynomial function. A polynomial function is a function that is defined by a sum of terms, each of which is the product of a constant and a variable raised to a non-negative integer power.

2. What is induction?

Induction is a mathematical proof technique used to prove statements about an infinite set of objects. It involves showing that a statement is true for a base case, and then proving that if the statement is true for a particular object, then it is also true for the next object in the set. This process is repeated until it can be shown that the statement is true for all objects in the set.

3. How is induction used to prove the polynomial formula?

Induction can be used to prove the polynomial formula by showing that the formula holds true for the base case (usually n=0 or n=1) and then using the inductive hypothesis to show that if the formula holds true for a given value of n, then it also holds true for n+1. By repeating this process, it can be shown that the polynomial formula holds true for all non-negative integer values of n.

4. Why is it important to prove the polynomial formula?

Proving the polynomial formula is important because it provides a rigorous and logical justification for the formula. This allows us to use the formula in a wide range of applications with confidence, knowing that it has been proven to be true for all possible values of n.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when proving the polynomial formula by induction?

Some common mistakes to avoid when proving the polynomial formula by induction include assuming that the formula holds true for a certain value of n without actually proving it, using the wrong inductive hypothesis, and overlooking or skipping steps in the proof. It is important to carefully follow the steps of the induction proof and double check all assumptions and calculations to ensure a valid proof.