1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving the polynomial formula by induction

1. Sep 14, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(a1 + ... + ak)^n = n! [tex]\Sigma[/tex] (a^p)/p! = n! [tex]\Sigma[/tex] (a1^p1 *** ak^pk)/(p1!***pk!)

(the 1...k are subscripts, not coefficients)

Prove this formula through induction on k beginning with the case k = 2 (binomial

2. Relevant equations

Just the above formula; the binomial formula is the case where k =2, which is where my induction should begin.

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, I think I can kind of do the k=2 step (with minor confusion about indices that I should be able to resolve). But what confuses me is the next part. I'm supposed to be doing the induction on k, so I guess I assume it's true for k = m, then show that it's true for k = m+1. But I'm confused about how to do this... if it's true for k = m then I have (a1+...+am)^ n = the formula above; how do I show anything for m+1? If I put in
    (a1+...+a(m+1))^n, I can't just multiply things out... so I'm a bit confused. Any suggestions?
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?