1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving there can only be certain amounts of eq. triangles on sphere with same verte

1. Oct 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Ok, I have this problem this week. (1)
    [tex]
    Consider\ a\ tiling\ of\ the\ unit\ sphere\ in\ \mathbb{R}^{3}\ by\ N\ equilateral\\
    triangles\ so\ that\ the\ triangles\ meet\ full\ edge\ to\ full\ edge\ (and\ vertex\ to\ vertex).\\
    Show\ that\ the\ only\ possibilities\ for\ N\ are\ N = 4,\ N = 8,\ or\ N = 20.[/tex]

Last week, we had the problem that follows (2)
    [tex]
    Consider\ a\ tiling\ of\ the\ unit\ sphere\ in\ \mathbb{R}^{3}\ by\ equilateral\\
    triangles\ so\ that\ the\ triangles\ meet\ full\ edge\ to\ full\ edge\ (and\ vertex\ to\\
    vertex).\ Suppose\ n\ such\ triangles\ meet\ an\ one\ vertex.\ Show\ that\ the\ only\\
    possibilities\ for\ n\ are\ n = 3,\ n = 4,\ n = 5.[/tex]

Alright so my problem is that it seems to be nearly the exact same statement except (2) uses n while (1) uses N.

If that is true then wouldn't it be impossible to prove N can only be 4, 8, or 20 if I proved it was only 3, 4, or 5 last week.

2. Relevant equations
    Area of each triangle = 3a - ∏

3. The attempt at a solution
    Considering my question isn't for the solution rather than help understanding what it is saying/how this would be possible, I don't have any work yet.

If requested, I can show my answer to (2)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Proving there can only be certain amounts of eq. triangles on sphere with same ve

Think about using Euler's formula. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planar_graph#Euler.27s_formula n is the number of triangles meeting at a point, N is the total number of triangles on the whole sphere. They are two different things.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  4. Oct 15, 2012 #3
    Re: Proving there can only be certain amounts of eq. triangles on sphere with same ve

Alright thanks man, that's all I needed, I got it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook