1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving things are equivalent

1. Nov 1, 2008 #1
    I need help proving that (A then B) then C and (A and B) then C are equivalent. Can anyone help?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

This doesn't meet criterai for posting in Philosophy. If this is homework, please post in the appropriate Homework forum
  4. Nov 1, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I am moving this to the "precalculus homework" forum.

Gamecock Girl, I think the simplest way to do this is to use a "truth table". There are 23 different ways A, B, and C can be "True" or "False". The two statements are equivalent if they are both True or both False in each of those.

Writing "T" for True, "F" for False and "ABC" in that order, the 8 ways are:
    TTT, TTF, TFT, TFF, FTT, FTF, FFT, FFF. Assuming you know what "if (if A then B) then C" and "if (A and B) then C" mean, you can decide whether they are True of False in each of those 8 situations.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?