Proving x=y=z in an Algebraic Equation with Real Numbers

• Thread starter sam300
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, We have an equation with the form ##t_1 + t_2 + t_3 = 0## where ##t_1 = \frac{x^2}{y^2} - \frac{x}{y}, t_2 = \frac{y^2}{z^2} - \frac{y}{z}, t_3 = \frac{z^2}{x^2} - \frac{z}{x}##. There are three possible cases: (1) all three t_i equal zero, (2) one of the t_i is equal to zero and the other two have opposite signs, and (3) two of the t_i are positive and one is negative (or
sam300
Hey guys, I am quite new to this forum, and just encountered this seemingly simple problem but still was not successful in solving it.

If,

[tex]\frac{x^2}{y^2}+\frac{y^2}{z^2}+\frac{z^2}{x^2}=\frac{x}{y}+\frac{y}{z}+\frac{z}{x}[/tex]

then prove that,

[tex]x=y=z[/tex]

where x,y and z are real numbers.

I tried everything I could from basic identities to substituting x=a+y and x=b+z which one of my friend suggested but no luck yet.
The 'prove that' part seems obvious but I cannot make out how to write a proof.

I have been thinking and trying different ways to solve this for past 3 hours.
I would appreciate if you guys can help me out with this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try rearranging to look like this:

[tex]\frac{x^2}{y^2}-\frac{x}{y}+\frac{y^2}{z^2}-\frac{y}{z}+\frac{z^2}{x^2}-\frac{z}{x}=0 [/tex]

Now think about how this could be true.

This is a homework style question, should have been posted in the homework forum. I am moving it there. You need to show us some effort.

Integral said:
Try rearranging to look like this:

[tex]\frac{x^2}{y^2}-\frac{x}{y}+\frac{y^2}{z^2}-\frac{y}{z}+\frac{z^2}{x^2}-\frac{z}{x}=0 [/tex]

Now think about how this could be true.

This is a homework style question, should have been posted in the homework forum. I am moving it there. You need to show us some effort.

Hmm, if we pair the terms like this,
[tex](\frac{x^2}{y^2}-\frac{x}{y})+(\frac{y^2}{z^2}-\frac{y}{z})+(\frac{z^2}{x^2}-\frac{z}{x})=0 [/tex]
We can see that [tex]\frac{x^2}{y^2}≥\frac{x}{y}[/tex]
even if x or y are negative
that implies,
[tex]\frac{x^2}{y^2}-\frac{x}{y}[/tex]
will either be positive or zero.
But if either of the pairs is positive then sum cannot be zero.
Therefore, [tex]\frac{x^2}{y^2}-\frac{x}{y}=0[/tex]
which further implies [tex]\frac{x^2}{y^2}=\frac{x}{y}[/tex]
which will give [tex]x=y[/tex] and eventually [tex]x=y=z[/tex]

Is this correct or I am going wrong somewhere?

sam300 said:
We can see that [tex]\frac{x^2}{y^2}≥\frac{x}{y}[/tex]

x=1, y=2?

Office_Shredder said:
x=1, y=2?

Oh, yea, then how else do I solve that?

Last edited:
sam300 said:
Oh, crap. yea, then how else do I solve that?

You have an equation of the form ##t_1 + t_2 + t_3 = 0,## where
[tex] t_1 = \frac{x^2}{y^2} - \frac{x}{y}, \:
t_2 = \frac{y^2}{z^2} - \frac{y}{z}, \:
t_3 = \frac{z^2}{x^2} - \frac{z}{x}[/tex]
There are several cases:
(1) All three t_i equal zero.
(2) One of the t_i = 0, one is > 0 and one is < 0.
(3) Two of the t_i are > 0 and one is < 0 (or two are < 0 and one is > 0).
Look at what happens in each case.

Is it a correct observation to note that ##t_1, t_2, t_3## are roots of a cubic polynomial with a zero x^2 coefficient? (not that I can see how(or even if) this helps be it the case).

Ray Vickson said:
You have an equation of the form ##t_1 + t_2 + t_3 = 0,## where
[tex] t_1 = \frac{x^2}{y^2} - \frac{x}{y}, \:
t_2 = \frac{y^2}{z^2} - \frac{y}{z}, \:
t_3 = \frac{z^2}{x^2} - \frac{z}{x}[/tex]
There are several cases:
(1) All three t_i equal zero.
(2) One of the t_i = 0, one is > 0 and one is < 0.
(3) Two of the t_i are > 0 and one is < 0 (or two are < 0 and one is > 0).
Look at what happens in each case.

I don't think that will get me anything, case (2) and (3) can be zero sometimes or sometimes it may not.
I don't see how we can prove that in case (2) and (3) ##t_1 + t_2 + t_3 ≠ 0,##

sam300 said:
I don't think that will get me anything, case (2) and (3) can be zero sometimes or sometimes it may not.
I don't see how we can prove that in case (2) and (3) ##t_1 + t_2 + t_3 ≠ 0,##

What are you talking about? You are told that t_1 + t_2 + t_3 = 0. So, can you have that and cases (2) or (3) as well (remembering also the very special forms of the t_i)? You need to sit down and work it out carefully; don't just "guess".

Ray Vickson said:
What are you talking about? You are told that t_1 + t_2 + t_3 = 0. So, can you have that and cases (2) or (3) as well (remembering also the very special forms of the t_i)? You need to sit down and work it out carefully; don't just "guess".

well, I thought I needed to prove t_1 = t_2= t_3 = 0 to get x/y=x^2/y^2 which will get me x=y
and to get that I need to rule out case (2) and (3) as a possibility.
But you seem to be saying something else. Okay, let me think.

sam300 said:
well, I thought I needed to prove t_1 = t_2= t_3 = 0 to get x/y=x^2/y^2 which will get me x=y
and to get that I need to rule out case (2) and (3) as a possibility.
But you seem to be saying something else. Okay, let me think.

No, no, no. I am not saying that cases (2) or (3) can occur; however, we need to have some good reasons to eliminate them. One way would be to get a contradiction: assume case (2) and find out eventually that this leads to something going wrong. Ditto for case (3).

Well I tried that and got inequalities like
[tex]\frac{x}{y}>=\frac{x^2}{y^2}[/tex]

but simplifying them isn't getting me anywhere. Or maybe I did not get the thing required to find case (2) and (3) invalid.
Sorry, I'm not good at simplifying inequalities of variables.

Just checking... the RHs is definitely correct, yes?
[tex]\frac{x^2}{y^2}+\frac{y^2}{z^2}+\frac{z^2}{x^2}=\frac{x}{y}+\frac{y}{z}+\frac{z}{x}[/tex]
It isn't, perhaps,
[tex]\frac{x^2}{y^2}+\frac{y^2}{z^2}+\frac{z^2}{x^2}=\frac{y}{x}+\frac{z}{y}+\frac{x}{z}[/tex]
?
I ask because that seems much easier!

haruspex said:
Just checking... the RHs is definitely correct, yes?
It isn't, perhaps,
[tex]\frac{x^2}{y^2}+\frac{y^2}{z^2}+\frac{z^2}{x^2}=\frac{y}{x}+\frac{z}{y}+\frac{x}{z}[/tex]
?
I ask because that seems much easier!

RHS is correct? ofc it is correct, the first equation is given to be true.
And I don't see how I could show eqn (2) to be incorrect.
And even if it is incorrect, how should help in proving?
Can you explain a bit in detail? I did not quite get you.

sam300 said:
RHS is correct? ofc it is correct, the first equation is given to be true.
And I don't see how I could show eqn (2) to be incorrect.
And even if it is incorrect, how should help in proving?
Can you explain a bit in detail? I did not quite get you.

He is asking you whether you might have copied down the original problem incorrectly, because the one you wrote is harder than the one he wrote.

Ray Vickson said:
He is asking you whether you might have copied down the original problem incorrectly, because the one you wrote is harder than the one he wrote.

Oh, okay, no I 'm sure I wrote down the problem correctly.

I think I found a another method, but it requires a,b,c>0, can that be proved somehow?

1. How do I solve this algebra problem?

To solve an algebra problem, you need to use the rules and properties of algebra to manipulate the given equations and variables. Start by simplifying the equations and combining like terms. Then, isolate the variable you are solving for on one side of the equation.

2. What are the steps to prove an algebra question?

The steps to prove an algebra question vary depending on the specific problem. However, some general steps include identifying the given information, determining what needs to be proven, and using logical reasoning and mathematical operations to show the given information leads to the desired conclusion.

3. How do I know if my proof is correct?

You can check the validity of your proof by using substitution. This involves plugging in the values from the original problem into your proof and seeing if the equations still hold true. If they do, then your proof is most likely correct.

4. Can I use any properties or rules of algebra in my proof?

Yes, you can use any properties or rules of algebra that are relevant to the problem you are trying to prove. Just make sure to clearly explain and justify your use of each property or rule in your proof.

5. Are there any special techniques for proving algebra questions?

There are various techniques that can be useful in proving algebra questions. Some common techniques include using substitution, factoring, and the transitive property. It is important to carefully analyze the problem and choose the most appropriate technique for the given question.