1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving Time Invariance

1. Jul 25, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that

[tex] y(t) = \frac{d}{dt}\left[e^{-t}x(t)\right][/tex]

is time invariant.

2. Relevant Information

I don't think this is TI!! I'm told it is TI, but I think I proved that it is not TI! My proof is below. Am I wrong or is the question wrong in assuming that the system is TI?

3. The attempt at a solution

Let [itex]y_1[/itex] be the output when [itex]x(t+t_0)[/itex] is the input, then:

[tex] y_1(t) = \frac{d}{dt}\left[e^{-t}x(t+t_0)\right] [/tex]

[tex] y(t+t_0) = \frac{d}{dt}\left[e^{-(t+t_0)}x(t+t_0)\right] = e^{-t_0}\frac{d}{dt}\left[e^{-t}x(t+t_0)\right] [/tex]

Therefore [itex]y_1(t) \neq y(t+t_0)[/itex] and the system is not time invariant.

Also, just to make sure I wasn't missing some subtlety because of the differentiation I tried to prove this another way.

Since x(t) is arbitrary, I assumed x(t)=t, so that:

[tex]y(t)=\frac{d}{dt}[te^{-t}] = e^{-t}-te^{-t}[/tex]

Now I time shift the system by 2:

[tex]y(t+2) = e^{-(t+2)}-(t+2)e^{-(t+2)}=e^{-2}\left[e^{-t}-(t+2)e^{-t}\right][/tex]

Now I let [itex]y_1(t)[/itex] be the output when the input is [itex]x(t+2)=t+2[/itex]:

[tex]y_1(t) = \frac{d}{dt}[(t+2)e^{-t}] = e^{-t}-(t+2)e^{-t}[/tex]

Clearly, then, [itex]y(t+2)\neq y_1(t)[/itex] and the system is not TI for x(t)=t, and hence cannot be TI for arbitrary x(t).

So, if it is TI, what am I doing wrong? And how would I prove that it is TI?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2007 #2
    Anyone know of a forum where this type of question is likely to get answered? I'm still desperate to get an answer to this. This is like basic systems... someone's gotta know.

Can I move this to the EE forum?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?