1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving trig identities with dot and cross products

1. Aug 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The two vectors a and b lie in the xy plane and make angles α and β with the x axis.

a)By evaluating ab in two ways (Namely ab = abcos(θ) and ab = a1b1+a2b2) prove the well-known trig identity
    cos(α-β)=cos(α)cos(β)+sin(α)sin(β)

b)By similarly evaluating a X b prove that
    sin(α-β) = sin(α)cos(β) - cos(α)sin(β)

c)Now let vector a make an angle -α with the x axis and find a similar expression for
    cos(α+β)

2. Relevant equations

ab = abcos(θ)

ab = a1b1+a2b2

3. The attempt at a solution

I drew the vectors a and b with their appropriate angles to the x-axis... The angle between the vectors is (α-β) so I have ab = abcos(α-β) but I have no idea how to relate this to the trig identities!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2012 #2
    Hello ,
    Since you are stuck at a.b=|a||b|cos(α-β) ,
    Why dont you take use of the other equation you know a • b = a1b1+a2b2
    a1 , a2 are components along i and j . Does that ring any bell?

4. Aug 26, 2012 #3
    Yes that makes sense but I'm not sure how to relate that to the trig identity :/

5. Aug 26, 2012 #4
    can you write a1 ,a2 , b1 ,b2 in terms of |a| or |b| and some trigo function ?

6. Aug 26, 2012 #5
    a1=ax*cos(α)

a2=ay*sin(α)

b1=bx*cos(β)

b2=by*sin(β)

I'm currently playing around with these but any headers would be appreciated!

7. Aug 26, 2012 #6
    you have a vector in terms of i , j just do the dot product and equate it two what you already have from equation 1 .
    NOTE: you have posted this thread in multiple sections , moderators wont like it .

8. Aug 26, 2012 #7
    Thanks.

Sorry I didn't know where to put this...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook