Proving trig identities -- Is the method related to the unit circle?

In summary, proving trigonometric identities involves using algebraic manipulations and identities to show that two expressions are equal. This process is not directly related to the unit circle, as it is more focused on manipulating equations, but the unit circle can be used to help visualize and understand the relationships between trigonometric functions.
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
Pls see the statement below
Relevant Equations
Binomial theorem
Why when proving trig identities,
1678912054265.png

Do we assume that r = 1 from ## rcis\theta = r[\cos\theta + i\sin\theta]##? This makes me think that this is somehow it is related the unit circle.

Note: I am trying to prove the ##cos3\theta## identity and am curious why we assume that the modulus is 1.

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Eh?

Likes ChiralSuperfields
PeroK said:
Eh?
Thank you for your reply @PeroK!

Sorry what do you mean? I can explain.

Many thanks!

PeroK said:
Eh?
I have edited the post @PeroK . Dose that help?

Callumnc1 said:

Sorry what do you mean? I can explain.

Many thanks!
What do you mean? What ##r##?

Likes ChiralSuperfields
Include ##r## if you want. It will make no difference to the final identity.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
Callumnc1 said:
Homework Statement:: Pls see the statement below
Relevant Equations:: Binomial theorem

View attachment 323655
Do we assume that r = 1 from ## rcis\theta = r[\cos\theta + i\sin\theta]##? This makes me think that this is somehow it is related the unit circle.

Note: I am trying to prove the ##cos3\theta## identity and am curious why we assume that the modulus is 1.

Many thanks!
Here we go again.

No. We don't need to assume that the modulus of ##\displaystyle \cos(\theta)+i\sin(\theta)## is ##1## . You should be able to show it.

What is the modulus of ##\displaystyle x+iy ## ?

Likes ChiralSuperfields
PeroK said:
What do you mean? What ##r##?

##r## is the modulus

Many thanks!

PeroK said:
Include ##r## if you want. It will make no difference to the final identity.

Sorry I forgot to mention that ##r## is just some scalar (modulus)

Many thanks!

##\cos(\theta) + i\sin(\theta)## is the polar form of a point P(x, y) on the unit circle. The ray from the origin to point P makes an angle of ##\theta## with the horizontal axis. This fact is something you would have learned in a precalc class...

Since P is a point on the unit circle, its modulus r = ... ?

Likes chwala and ChiralSuperfields
SammyS said:
Here we go again.

No. We don't need to assume that the modulus of ##\displaystyle \cos(\theta)+i\sin(\theta)## is ##1## . You should be able to show it.

Thank you for your reply @SammyS!

Sorry what do you mean show it? Do you mean by by trying to do the proof when r = 2 say?

Many thanks!

Mark44 said:
##\cos(\theta) + i\sin(\theta)## is the polar form of a point P(x, y) on the unit circle. The ray from the origin to point P makes an angle of ##\theta## with the horizontal axis. This fact is something you would have learned in a precalc class...

Thank you for your reply @Mark44!

I think I did learn. But I though the point on a unit circle was ##(\cos(\theta), \sin(\theta))## not with the imaginary component? Are you talking about a unit circle in the complex plane? I can see that would have a point ##(\cos(\theta), i\sin(\theta))##.

Many thanks!

Mark44 said:

r = 1

Many thanks!

Callumnc1 said:
Do we assume that r = 1 from ## rcis\theta = r[\cos\theta + i\sin\theta]##?
No.

But the problem you posted doesn't include r. It is a proof of the identity ##(\cos(\theta) + i
\sin(\theta))^3 = \cos(3\theta) + i\sin(3\theta)##.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
SammyS said:
Here we go again.

##r = \sqrt {x^2 + y^2}##

Many thanks!

Mark44 said:
No.

But the problem you posted doesn't include r. It is a proof of the identity ##(\cos(\theta) + i
\sin(\theta))^3 = \cos(3\theta) + i\sin(3\theta)##.

I am wondering whether the identity can be proved in general for any r. That is, if we let
##(r[\cos(\theta) + i\sin(\theta)])^3##.

EDIT: I believe it would work, but why?

Many thanks!

Mark44 said:
Not for just any old r, but it can be proved for integer values of r. This is what De Moivre's Theorem is concerned with. See https://math.libretexts.org/Bookshelves/Precalculus/Book:_Trigonometry_(Sundstrom_and_Schlicker)/05:_Complex_Numbers_and_Polar_Coordinates/5.03:_DeMoivres_Theorem_and_Powers_of_Complex_Numbers.

I will check that out. Sorry, I was meant to post that question I had (accidently in the intro physics forum) about complex identity in this forum.

Many thanks!

You basically need to understand where those identities come from ##z^n + \dfrac{1}{z^n} = 2 \cos (n\theta)## in your (now) closed thread https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/another-way-to-find-trig-identities.1050812/

Here is a guide you can follow to prove the identity above.
1) any complex number ##z## where ##|z| = 1## can by definition be written as ##\cos \theta + \mathrm{i} \sin \theta##.
2) ##z^n = \cos (n\theta) + \mathrm{i} \sin (n\theta)## where ##n## is a positive integer. This one is pretty simple to prove, you have probably done so in class. Otherwise, it is pretty simple to show using a proof by induction, e.g. show that if ##z^p = \cos (p\theta) + \mathrm{i} \sin (p\theta)## where ##p## is a positive integer, then show the following also holds: ##z^{p+1} = \cos ((p+1)\theta) + \mathrm{i} \sin ((p+1)\theta)##
3) Next things to understand, is that ##\dfrac{1}{z^n} = \cos (-n\theta) + \mathrm{i} \sin (-n\theta)## for ##n## any integer, positive or negative (and 0 of course). This is also pretty simple to show. Use that cos is even function and that sin is odd function. Then show that this indeed is equal to ##\dfrac{1}{z^n}##.
4) Now you are almost there. Should be straightforward to show that ##z^n + \dfrac{1}{z^n} = 2 \cos (n\theta)## at this point.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes chwala, scottdave and ChiralSuperfields
Callumnc1 said:

##r = \sqrt {x^2 + y^2}##

Many thanks!
What do you mean by "Thanks"?

I intended that you apply that to ##\displaystyle \cos(\theta)+i\sin(\theta)## and show that its Modulus is indeed ##1## .

Math is a not a spectator sport. You must practice and do, not just watch and cheer.

• Haha
Likes chwala, PeroK and ChiralSuperfields
malawi_glenn said:
You basically need to understand where those identities come from ##z^n + \dfrac{1}{z^n} = 2 \cos (n\theta)## in your (now) closed thread https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/another-way-to-find-trig-identities.1050812/

1) any complex number ##z## can by definition be written as ##\cos \theta + \mathrm{i} \sin \theta##.
No, this is only true if ##|z| = 1##. In general,
##z = |z|e^{i \arg(z)} = |z|(\cos(\arg(z))+i\sin(\arg(z))) = |z|(\cos(\theta)+i\sin(\theta))##, where ##\theta = \arg(z)##.

Likes malawi_glenn and ChiralSuperfields
malawi_glenn said:

1) any complex number ##z## can by definition be written as ##\cos \theta + \mathrm{i} \sin \theta##.
2) ##z^n = \cos (n\theta) + \mathrm{i} \sin (n\theta)## where ##n## is a positive integer. This one is pretty simple to prove, you have probably done so in class. Otherwise, it is pretty simple to show using a proof by induction, e.g. show that if ##z^p = \cos (p\theta) + \mathrm{i} \sin (p\theta)## where ##p## is a positive integer, then show the following also holds: ##z^{p+1} = \cos ((p+1)\theta) + \mathrm{i} \sin ((p+1)\theta)##
3) Next things to understand, is that ##\dfrac{1}{z^n} = \cos (-n\theta) + \mathrm{i} \sin (-n\theta)## for ##n## any integer, positive or negative (and 0 of course). This is also pretty simple to show. Use that cos is even function and that sin is odd function. Then show that this indeed is equal to ##\dfrac{1}{z^n}##.
4) Now you are almost there. Should be straightforward to show that ##z^n + \dfrac{1}{z^n} = 2 \cos (n\theta)## at this point.
Thank you for your reply @malawi_glenn!

That is very helpful!

I will try to prove it.

Many thanks!

SammyS said:
What do you mean by "Thanks"?

I intended that you apply that to ##\displaystyle \cos(\theta)+i\sin(\theta)## and show that its Modulus is indeed ##1## .

Math is a not a spectator sport. You must practice and do, not just watch and cheer.

Oh, so ## r = \sqrt {\cos^2\theta + (i^2\sin\theta)} = \sqrt { \cos^2\theta + \sin^2\theta} = 1##
Many thanks!

Callumnc1 said:
Homework Statement:: Pls see the statement below
Relevant Equations:: Binomial theorem

View attachment 323655
Yes, it is. ##[\cos(\theta) + i \sin(\theta)]^3 = [e^{i \theta}]^3##. Now use the properties of exponents and put it back into the cos(), i sin() form.

• Informative
Likes scottdave and ChiralSuperfields
FactChecker said:
No, this is only true if ##|z| = 1##. In general,
##z = |z|e^{i \arg(z)} = |z|(\cos(\arg(z))+i\sin(\arg(z))) = |z|(\cos(\theta)+i\sin(\theta))##, where ##\theta = \arg(z)##.
Thank you for your reply @FactChecker !

True it is ##z = |z|e^{i\theta}##

Many thanks!

FactChecker said:
Yes, it is. ##[\cos(\theta) + i \sin(\theta)]^3 = [e^{i \theta}]^3##. Now use the properties of exponents and put it back into the cos(), i sin() form.
Thank you for your reply @FactChecker!

Sorry what do you mean?

Many thanks!

FactChecker said:

Sorry never mind. I think I understand now.

##[e^{i\theta}]^3 = e^{3\theta i}## which from the definition of Euler's formula gives
##\cos3\theta + i\sin3\theta## interesting that we don't have to use de moiré's theorem.Many thanks!

Likes FactChecker
Callumnc1 said:

Oh, so ## r = \sqrt {\cos^2\theta + (i^2\sin\theta)} = \sqrt { \cos^2\theta + \sin^2\theta} = 1##
Many thanks!
Not quite right.

Details:

##\displaystyle \sqrt {\cos^2\theta + (i^2\sin\theta)}##

is wrong in a couple of ways,

Likes ChiralSuperfields
SammyS said:
Not quite right.

Details:

##\displaystyle \sqrt {\cos^2\theta + (i^2\sin\theta)}##

is wrong in a couple of ways,

Sorry how?

Many thanks!

Callumnc1 said:

Sorry how?

Many thanks!
You tell me.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
SammyS said:
You tell me.
Thank you for your reply @SammyS!I let ##x = \cos\theta## and ##y = i\sin\theta## from the complex circle.

Many thanks!

Callumnc1 said:
Thank you for your reply @SammyS!I let ##x = \cos\theta## and ##y = i\sin\theta## from the complex circle.

Many thanks!
No.

##y## does not include the ##i##.

Take some time before blasting back with a thoughtless answer.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
Callumnc1 said:

Sorry never mind. I think I understand now.

##[e^{i\theta}]^3 = e^{3\theta i}## which from the definition of Euler's formula gives
##\cos3\theta + i\sin3\theta## interesting that we don't have to use de moiré's theorem.Many thanks!
I guess it depends on what class this is for, and if you are allowed to use Euler's formula. Many people consider Euler's formula to be the most important equation in mathematics.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
SammyS said:
No.

##y## does not include the ##i##.

Take some time before blasting back with a thoughtless answer.

I just realized that before I read you reply! For some reason I was thinking that it need an i for a point on a unit circle in complex plane.

Many thanks!

FactChecker said:
I guess it depends on what class this is for, and if you are allowed to use Euler's formula. Many people consider Euler's formula to be the most important equation in mathematics.
Thank you for your reply @FactChecker !

This is for a linear algebra class.

Many thanks!