What is the Half Angle Formula for Trigonometric Identities?

• Thread starter whkoh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Identity
In summary, the original equation proves to be impossible to solve for t = -1. To solve for t = -1, one must manipulate the more complicated side to get the less complicated side.
whkoh
Prove that
[tex]\sec x + \tan x = \tan \left (\frac{\pi}{4} + \frac{x}{2}\right )[/tex]

I've got to
[tex]\sec x + \tan x = \frac{1+\sin x}{\cos x}[/tex]
and then I was stuck. Tried half angle but it didn't seem to work.

Help please.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are two sides to the equation -- it sounds like you've only fiddled with the left hand side. :frown:

Neat!
I've never seen that trig. identity before..

Well, manipulating RHS gives
[tex]\tan \left (\frac{\pi}{4} + \frac{x}{2} \right )[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{\tan\frac{\pi}{4}+\tan\frac{x}{2}}{1-\tan\frac{\pi}{4}\tan\frac{x}{2}}[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{1+\tan\frac{x}{2}}{1-\tan\frac{x}{2}}[/tex]

and applying half angle to LHS gives
[tex]\frac{1+\sin x}{\cos x}[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{1+2\sin\frac{x}{2}\cos\frac{x}{2}}{1-2\sin\frac{x}{2}\sin\frac{x}{2}}[/tex]

Hmm.. how can [tex]\tan\frac{x}{2}[/tex] be equal to
[tex]2\sin\frac{x}{2}\cos\frac{x}{2}}[/tex]
and
[tex]2\sin\frac{x}{2}\sin\frac{x}{2}}[/tex] at the same time?

Any help please..

Here's help. :)

Try to manipulate the more complicated side to get the less complicated side. In this case, work on the RHS to get the LHS. Try not to work from both sides at once.

Let the respective sin, cos and tan trig ratios of x/2 be s, c and t. Let those of x be S, C and T. I'm doing this because I'm really fed up of clunky LaTex.

Taking it from where you left off,

RHS :

[tex]\frac{1+\tan\frac{x}{2}}{1-\tan\frac{x}{2}}[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{(1 + t)^2}{(1-t)(1 + t)}[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{1 + t^2 + 2t}{1 - t^2}[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{1 + t^2 + 2t}{\frac{c^2 - s^2}{c^2}}[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{(1 + t^2 + 2t)(c^2)}{C}[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{c^2 + s^2 + 2sc}{C}[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{1 + S}{C}[/tex]
[tex]=\sec{x} + \tan{x}[/tex] (QED)

BTW, the proof (and the original identity) fail for t = -1. In the proof, it's because I multiply the RHS by (1+t)/(1+t). In the orig. identity, the LHS becomes undefined while the RHS remains finite (so the failure is consistent).

Thanks for your help :smile:

You know

[tex] \sec x+\tan x=\frac{1}{\cos x}+\frac{\sin x}{\cos x}=\frac{1+\sin x}{\cos x} [/tex] (1)

Th RHS is

[tex] \frac{1+\tan\frac{x}{2}}{1-\tan\frac{x}{2}}=\frac{1+\frac{\sin^{2}\frac{x}{2}}{\cos^{2}\frac{x}{2}}+2\frac{\sin\frac{x}{2}}{\cos\frac{x}{2}}}{1-\frac{\sin^{2}\frac{x}{2}}{\cos^{2}\frac{x}{2}}} [/tex]

[tex]=\frac{\cos^{2}\frac{x}{2}+\sin^{2}\frac{x}{2}+2\cos\frac{x}{2}\sin\frac{x}{2}}{\cos^{2}\frac{x}{2} -\sin^{2}\frac{x}{2}}=\frac{1+\sin x}{\cos x} [/tex]

(Q.e.d.)

,pretty simple,right...?

Daniel.

Last edited:
I think he mentioned that identity in post 1, Daniel..:wink:

Hehe,i thought he went backwards starting with the RHS.:tongue2:

Daniel.

1. What is a trigonometric identity?

A trigonometric identity is an equation that is true for all values of the variables involved. It is used to express the relationship between trigonometric functions and is often used to simplify or solve equations.

2. How do you prove a trigonometric identity?

There are several methods for proving trigonometric identities, including using algebraic manipulation, using geometric proofs, and using the properties of trigonometric functions.

3. What are some common trigonometric identities?

Some common trigonometric identities include the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, half angle identities, and sum and difference identities. These identities can be used to simplify expressions and solve equations involving trigonometric functions.

4. Why is proving trigonometric identities important?

Proving trigonometric identities is important because it helps to develop a deeper understanding of the relationships between trigonometric functions. It also allows for the simplification of complex expressions and the solving of equations involving trigonometric functions.

5. Are there any tips for proving trigonometric identities?

Some tips for proving trigonometric identities include starting with the more complex side of the equation, using known identities and formulas, and being familiar with the properties of trigonometric functions. It is also important to show each step of the proof clearly and to use algebraic manipulation to simplify expressions.