Can You Simplify this Trig Identity?

• Thread starter sean trom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    identities
In summary, the given equation can be simplified by using double angle formulae and factorization to show that the left side is equivalent to tan(theta). This solution was reached by pulling out a common factor of 2 cos(theta) - 1 from both the numerator and denominator.
sean trom

Homework Statement

Show that (sin(2theta) - sin(theta)) / (cos(2theta) - cos(theta) + 1) = tan(theta)

sorry if this setting out is unclear but i am not familiar with how to post math symbols and such.

Homework Equations

above

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried simplifying using double angle formulae but it seems i am going backwards instead of forwards. This is really frustrating as it seems to be quite simple but when I try to solve, i get nowhere.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\frac{sin (2\theta) - sin (\theta)}{cos (2\theta) - cos (\theta) +1} = \frac{2 sin (\theta) cos (\theta) - sin (\theta)}{2 cos^{2} (\theta) - cos (\theta)} = \frac{sin (\theta)}{cos (\theta)} = tan (\theta)[/tex]

i can see how you got from the first to second stage (using double angle formulae), but how did you come to the 3rd stage, can you please show me smaller steps?

Factorisation; you will see that the numerator and denominator share a common term, [tex]2 cos(\theta) - 1[/tex]

Fightfish said:
Factorisation; you will see that the numerator and denominator share a common term, [tex]2 cos(\theta) - 1[/tex]

sorry if I am frustrating but i don't quite understand what you mean here. how does the [tex]2 cos^2(\theta)[/tex] get eliminated? what happens to the numerator when the [tex] sin(\theta) [/tex] gets taken away?

Fightfish said:
[tex]\frac{sin (2\theta) - sin (\theta)}{cos (2\theta) - cos (\theta) +1} = \frac{2 sin (\theta) cos (\theta) - sin (\theta)}{2 cos^{2} (\theta) - cos (\theta)} = \frac{sin (\theta)}{cos (\theta)} = tan (\theta)[/tex]

Fightfish, please do not give full solutions. We are here to guide, and help the OP, not to provide solutions. We can give them a push, or tell them what they should do, or blah blah blah. Giving full solutions is against the forum rules since it does not help much, and isn't beneficial to the OP at all.

Just bear this in mind though:

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he will eat for a lifetime. :)

Sorry, I was under the assumption that the major barrier in such proving questions was usually just a mental block or "lack of inspiration", and hence that it wouldn't hurt to provide the solution in this case

sean trom said:
sorry if I am frustrating but i don't quite understand what you mean here. how does the [tex]2 cos^2(\theta)[/tex] get eliminated? what happens to the numerator when the [tex] sin(\theta) [/tex] gets taken away?

Factorization means that you take out the common factor, like this:

ab + ac = a(b + c)

Since ab, and ac both have the factor a, so we can "pull" it out.

Another example is:

sin(x) + sin(x)cos(x) = sin(x) (1 + cos(x)), we simply pull sin(x) out.

Now, tell me, how can one factor the numerator, and denominator in your problem?

Fightfish said:
Sorry, I was under the assumption that the major barrier in such proving questions was usually just a mental block or "lack of inspiration", and hence that it wouldn't hurt to provide the solution in this case

Well, this is one of the fundamental problems, the basic ones. It'd be much better if you can guide the OP through it. He can learn more as he completes the problem on his own. He can do it, it's just that he didn't "see" the pattern. (and this is why he comes here) Or maybe he's lacking some earlier concepts. (we can give him some links, or review them for him) If it's a harder problem, you can give him a push, well.. but I don't think you need to do so in this case. And in some special cases, if it's a very hard problem, and if the OP has put much effort on the problem, but still go no where, then you can post a full solution. But this case is really really rare. :)

Last edited:
yep i understand now, thanks everyone.

1. What are trigonometric identities?

Trigonometric identities are mathematical equations that involve trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These identities allow us to simplify and manipulate trigonometric expressions.

2. Why is it important to prove trigonometric identities?

Proving trigonometric identities is important because it allows us to verify the accuracy of mathematical calculations involving trigonometric functions. It also helps us understand the relationships between different trigonometric functions.

3. What are the steps for proving a trigonometric identity?

The steps for proving a trigonometric identity include: 1) starting with one side of the equation and using algebraic and trigonometric properties to manipulate it until it matches the other side, 2) using known identities and definitions to simplify the expressions, and 3) showing that both sides are equal.

4. What are the most commonly used trigonometric identities?

Some of the most commonly used trigonometric identities include the Pythagorean identities (sin²θ + cos²θ = 1), double angle identities (sin2θ = 2sinθcosθ), and half angle identities (sin²(θ/2) = (1-cosθ)/2).

5. How can I improve my skills in proving trigonometric identities?

The best way to improve your skills in proving trigonometric identities is by practicing regularly and familiarizing yourself with the different trigonometric identities and their applications. It is also helpful to understand the properties and definitions of trigonometric functions and how they relate to each other.