Is U(n) a Group Modulo n?

• Thread starter cragar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group
In summary, the conversation discusses showing that the set U(n) = {x < n : gcd(x, n) = 1} under multiplication modulo n is a group. The conversation explores the importance of having gcd=1 in order to avoid generating elements that are multiples of n, and the need for inverse elements in a group. The conversation also mentions using the Euclidean algorithm to find integers that satisfy ab-cn=1 and the existence of an inverse for a specific example of U(8).
cragar

Homework Statement

Show that the set U(n) = {x < n : gcd(x, n) = 1} under multiplication modulo n is a group.

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
I know that it is important to have the gcd=1 other wise you would eventually have an element that under the group operation would be a multiple of n which would have a remainder of 0 and could generate nothing new after that under multiplication.
NumberedEquation4.gif
xr+bn=gcd(x,n)=1 .

Physics news on Phys.org
how do you show that a set of elements is/forms a group?

To make sure that inverse exist we need to have 2 group elements a,b such that ab=cn+1 , gcd(a,n)=1 and gcd(b,n)=1 and c is a multiple of n.
so ab-cn=1. I am trying to figure out a way to prove that 2 element multiplied together will get me one more than a multiple on n.

cragar said:
To make sure that inverse exist we need to have 2 group elements a,b such that ab=cn+1 , gcd(a,n)=1 and gcd(b,n)=1 and c is a multiple of n.
so ab-cn=1. I am trying to figure out a way to prove that 2 element multiplied together will get me one more than a multiple on n.

If a and b are relatively prime then there exist integers k and l such that ak+bl=1. Use that.

if ab-cn=1 then gcd(ab,cn)=1 because these are consecutive natural numbers. if they shared common factors then it should divide their difference but their difference is 1.
let a be a natural number such that gcd(a,n)=1 and a<n, now we need to look for a natural number b such that ab-cn=1, by the euclidean algorithm integers should exist.
we know that gcd(b,cn)=1 otherwise if they shared a common factor this could be factored out and then we would have a product of 2 integers equallying one. but we just factored out their common factor that is larger than 1 so this is a contradiction. for the moment I am going to look at the case where ab-n=1.
ab=n+1, let a and b <n, claim b< n, assume for contradiction that b>n-1, if b were at least n and a was >2 then ba=2n which is larger than n+1, so this is a contradiction therefore b<n, so such a b exists, there exists a,b such that ab=n+1,

Likes Kaguro
cragar said:
if ab-cn=1 then gcd(ab,cn)=1 because these are consecutive natural numbers. if they shared common factors then it should divide their difference but their difference is 1.
let a be a natural number such that gcd(a,n)=1 and a<n, now we need to look for a natural number b such that ab-cn=1, by the euclidean algorithm integers should exist.
we know that gcd(b,cn)=1 otherwise if they shared a common factor this could be factored out and then we would have a product of 2 integers equallying one. but we just factored out their common factor that is larger than 1 so this is a contradiction. for the moment I am going to look at the case where ab-n=1.
ab=n+1, let a and b <n, claim b< n, assume for contradiction that b>n-1, if b were at least n and a was >2 then ba=2n which is larger than n+1, so this is a contradiction therefore b<n, so such a b exists, there exists a,b such that ab=n+1,

If you know there are integers b and c such that ab-cn=1, then you have pretty much shown that a has an inverse, haven't you? I don't know what you are trying to say with the rest of that argument.

take the concrete example of [itex]U(8) = \{ 1, 3,5, 7 \}[/itex]..
what do you get by trying some of the multiplications?

1. What is the definition of a group mod n?

A group mod n is a set of elements, along with a binary operation (usually multiplication or addition) and a modulus n, that satisfies the four group axioms: closure, associativity, identity, and inverse. In simpler terms, it is a set of numbers that can be combined using a specific operation and a certain number, n, without changing the result.

2. Why is it important to prove that U(n) is a group mod n?

Proving that U(n) is a group mod n is important because it allows us to understand the properties and behavior of a set of numbers under a specific operation and modulus. It also allows us to make conclusions about various mathematical concepts and apply them to real-world problems.

3. How do you show that U(n) satisfies the closure property?

To show that U(n) satisfies the closure property, we must demonstrate that when two elements of U(n) are multiplied or added together, the result is still an element of U(n). This can be done by showing that the result is also relatively prime to n.

4. What is the identity element of U(n)?

The identity element of U(n) is the number 1, since multiplying or adding 1 to any element in U(n) does not change the result. In other words, 1 is the element that does not affect the outcome of the operation.

5. How do you prove that every element in U(n) has an inverse?

To prove that every element in U(n) has an inverse, we must show that for every element a in U(n), there exists an element b in U(n) such that a*b (or a+b) is congruent to 1 mod n. This can be done by using the extended Euclidean algorithm to find the modular inverse of a.