Is My Approach to Proving lim (x^3+2x^2) = 1 Using ε/δ Definition Correct?

• Thread starter cwz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Definition
Sorry for the bother.In summary, the conversation discusses proving the limit of (x^3+2x^2) as x approaches -1 using the epsilon-delta definition. The person has made it to the step where δ(δ^2-δ-1) ≤ δ ≤ ε and has chosen ε=min(2,ε) but is unsure if it is correct. Another person points out that the limit does not equal 1 but the first person argues that at x=-1, the equation results in 1 and therefore should be continuous.
cwz

Homework Statement

Prove using ε/δ definition,

lim x tends to -1 (x^3+2x^2) = 1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have done to the step where δ(δ^2-δ-1) ≤ δ ≤ ε

so i choose ε=min(2,ε)

Not sure whether I am correct or not

Physics news on Phys.org
I hope you realize that
$$\lim_{x \to -1} (x^3+2x^2) \ne 1$$ so you're going to have a tough time proving it. In any case, you need to show more of your work. We can't see your paper or read your mind to see what you actually did.

vela said:
i hope you realize that
$$\lim_{x \to -1} (x^3+2x^2) \ne 1$$

[itex](-1)^3 + 2(-1)^2 = -1 + 2 = 1[/itex]. Last time I checked, [itex]x^3 + 2x^2[/itex] was continuous everywhere.

Well, now I feel like an idiot. :wink: And I checked it over and over and kept getting -1.

What is the ε/δ definition?

The ε/δ definition, also known as the epsilon-delta definition, is a method used to prove the limit of a function. It involves using two variables, epsilon (ε) and delta (δ), to show that as the input approaches a certain value, the output of the function also approaches a specific value.

Why is the ε/δ definition important in mathematics?

The ε/δ definition is important because it provides a rigorous and precise way to determine the limit of a function. It allows for a more formal and logical approach to proving limits, rather than relying on intuition or graphical interpretations.

How do you use the ε/δ definition to prove a limit?

To prove a limit using the ε/δ definition, you first choose a value for epsilon (ε) and then find a corresponding value for delta (δ) that satisfies the definition. This involves manipulating the function and setting constraints on the values of ε and δ to show that the limit exists and is equal to the desired value.

What are some common challenges when using the ε/δ definition?

One common challenge when using the ε/δ definition is choosing the correct values for ε and δ. It requires a lot of algebraic manipulation and can be time-consuming. Another challenge is understanding the concept of a limit and how it relates to the specific function being analyzed.

How does the ε/δ definition relate to real-world applications?

The ε/δ definition is used in many real-world applications, such as physics, engineering, and economics. It allows us to determine the behavior of a system as it approaches a certain value, which is crucial in understanding and predicting real-world phenomena. For example, the concept of limits is used in calculus to analyze motion and change in physical systems.