1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Proving vector identities

1. Aug 19, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove the following vector identity:

[tex]\nabla[/tex]x(AxB) = (B.[tex]\nabla[/tex])A - (A.[tex]\nabla[/tex])B + A([tex]\nabla[/tex].B) - B([tex]\nabla[/tex].A)

Where A and B are vector fields.

2. Relevant equations

Curl, divergence, gradient

3. The attempt at a solution

I think I know how to do this: I have to expand out the LHS and the RHS and show that they equal one another. To do this I need to use the product rule when taking the gradient of components with more than one term multiplied together.

What I don't understand is what's going on on the RHS: doesn't (B.[tex]\nabla[/tex])A = B([tex]\nabla[/tex].A) ? (Obviously this can't be the case since then all the components would cancel to zero.) So how does this really work?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2010 #2

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

No, since if
    [tex]
    \begin{displaymath}
    \begin{array}{rcl}
    \mathbf{A} & = & A_{x}\mathbf{i}+A_{x}\mathbf{j}+A_{z}\mathbf{k} \\
    \mathbf{B} & = & B_{x}\mathbf{i}+B_{x}\mathbf{j}+B_{z}\mathbf{k}
    \end{array}
    \end{displaymath}
    [/tex]
    Then:
    [tex]
    \begin{displaymath}
    \begin{array}{rcl}
    \mathbf{B}\cdot\nabla & = & B_{x}\partial_{x}+B_{y}\partial_{y}+B_{z}\partial_{z} \\
    \nabla\cdot\mathbf{A} & = & \partial_{x}A_{x}+\partial_{y}A_{y}+\partial_{z}A_{z}
    \end{array}
    \end{displaymath}
    [/tex]
    Using the above compare one component of the two vector expressions and see if they're the same.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook