1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving Vector space

1. May 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

V1 is defined as the span of the vectors b1,b2,b3,b4

Prove that V1 is not a vector space.

2. Relevant equations

A set of axioms :
    If u and v are tow vectors in the span of b1,b2,b3,b4 then:
    1. u + v belongs to V1
    2. ku also belongs to V1

3. The attempt at a solution
    Don't know how to prove 1. wrong !

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi hms.tech! :smile:
    i'm confused :redface:

i thought span is defined as the smallest vector subspace that (etc) :confused:

what definition of span have you been given?​

4. May 18, 2012 #3

sharks

Gold Member

To prove that [itex]V_1[/itex] is a vector space, the two closure axioms must be satisfied, as stated in your relevant equations.
    [tex]V_1= \left ( b_1,b_2,b_3,b_4 \right )[/tex]
    [tex]V_1= \left ( \begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \\ 0\\0 \end{bmatrix}, \begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 1 \\ 0\\0 \end{bmatrix},\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 1 \\1\\0 \end{bmatrix},\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 1 \\ 1\\1 \end{bmatrix} \right )[/tex]
    According to the two properties:
    [tex]1.\;b_1+b_2\not=b_3
    \\2.\;k\times b_1\not=b_2[/tex]Also, if you write the 4 vectors as a matrix and reduce to its row echelon form, you will see that it has no free variables, meaning, all the 4 vectors are linearly independent.

5. May 18, 2012 #4
    I think i might have to rephrase the question. Becuase i think i interpreted it wrongly.
    so again :

Here is the complete question :

Attached Files:

• up.PNG
      up.PNG
      File size:
      16.3 KB
      Views:
  6. May 18, 2012 #5

sharks

Gold Member

That's a completely different question from your post #1.[tex]V_1= \left ( \begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \\ 0\\0 \end{bmatrix}, \begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 1 \\ 0\\0 \end{bmatrix},\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 1 \\ 1\\0 \end{bmatrix} \right )= \begin{bmatrix}1 & 1 & 1 \\ 0 & 1 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 & 1\\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    [tex]V_2= \left ( \begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \\ 0\\0 \end{bmatrix}, \begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 1 \\ 0\\0 \end{bmatrix},\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 1 \\ 1\\1 \end{bmatrix} \right )= \begin{bmatrix}1 & 1 & 1 \\ 0 & 1 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 & 1\\ 0 & 0 & 1 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]Note: vector spaces are sometimes called linear spaces.

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  7. May 18, 2012 #6
    yes, i know that vector space is the same thing as a linear space, but again, how to we prove that V1 union V2 is not a vector space ?

8. May 18, 2012 #7

sharks

Gold Member

[tex]V_1+V_2\not=kV_1\;or\;V_1+V_2\not=kV_2[/tex]where k is a scalar multiple.

9. May 18, 2012 #8
    what axiom is that, i can't recall any such axiom of a vector space ?

10. May 18, 2012 #9

sharks

Gold Member

[itex]V_1\cup V_2[/itex] is the sum of all corresponding elements of [itex]V_1[/itex] and [itex]V_2[/itex]. Therefore, it is [itex]V_1 + V_2[/itex].

The result of the vector addition, let's call it, [itex]V_3[/itex], is to be tested against the closure axioms to verify if it is a vector space of either [itex]V_1[/itex] or [itex]V_2[/itex].

Now, according to the closure axiom of scalar multiplication, if [itex]V_3[/itex] is a scalar multiple of [itex]V_1[/itex] or [itex]V_2[/itex], then the former is a vector space. You can get the answer easily from here.

11. May 18, 2012 #10

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

the simplest way is to find a in V1 and b in V2 such that a+b is not in V1 and is not in V2 :wink:

(and the simplest choices for a and b would be one 1 and three 0s)

12. May 19, 2012 #11
    yeah i got it, thanks for the explanation. I took the vectors b3 and b4, added them together and proved that the resultant vector does not lie in v3.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook