1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proximity sensor with LDR

1. Dec 30, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am just about to start my AS level Advancing physics - Sensors coursework.

I was wondering whether it would be a good idea to build a proximity sensor using an LDR in a potential divider.

I would reflect an LED off an object, and move the object at different distances away from the LDR.

I would take readings of the voltage across the potential divider output with the object at these different positions, and plot/analyse graphs of distance against voltage.

Would this be a good idea? Or would I get a series of inaccurate and unreliable results?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2007 #2

There are two issues here:
    - the amount reflected back to the LDR will also depend on the particulars of the object (meaning you can't accurately determine distance for an arbitrary object)
    - background noise... there are some simple ways to get around this that I can tell you if you want.

If you are serious about measuring distance I would suggest ultrasound. It is also possible to do this with light but short distances are very difficult due to the high speed of light.
  4. Dec 30, 2007 #3
    could I get rid of the first issue by using an LED to replace the object?

Wouldn't doing the experiment in a dark room fix the noise problem?

If not, how would I do an ultrasound sensor? I'm not really very familiar with them.
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2007
  5. Dec 30, 2007 #4

To a certain extent an LED object will "fix" the first problem but you'll need to keep the orientation constant. And yes, a dark room will get rid of most of the noise. But this isn't really a realistic situation is it? Depends what your main goal is I suppose.

The idea with the ultrasound is to make a sonar... send pulses through the transducer and measure the time delay. It will be more complicated than your LDR system.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?