Can an LDR be used in a proximity sensor for coursework in Advancing physics?

In summary, the student is considering building a proximity sensor using an LDR in a potential divider. They plan to reflect an LED off an object and take readings of the voltage across the potential divider output at different distances to plot and analyze graphs. However, there are concerns about accuracy and reliability due to the object's characteristics and background noise. The possibility of using an LED as the object and conducting the experiment in a dark room is suggested, but the use of ultrasound for more accurate measurements is also mentioned.
eRazed

Homework Statement

I am just about to start my AS level Advancing physics - Sensors coursework.

I was wondering whether it would be a good idea to build a proximity sensor using an LDR in a potential divider.

I would reflect an LED off an object, and move the object at different distances away from the LDR.

I would take readings of the voltage across the potential divider output with the object at these different positions, and plot/analyse graphs of distance against voltage.

Would this be a good idea? Or would I get a series of inaccurate and unreliable results?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
There are two issues here:
- the amount reflected back to the LDR will also depend on the particulars of the object (meaning you can't accurately determine distance for an arbitrary object)
- background noise... there are some simple ways to get around this that I can tell you if you want.

If you are serious about measuring distance I would suggest ultrasound. It is also possible to do this with light but short distances are very difficult due to the high speed of light.

could I get rid of the first issue by using an LED to replace the object?

Wouldn't doing the experiment in a dark room fix the noise problem?

If not, how would I do an ultrasound sensor? I'm not really very familiar with them.

Last edited:
eRazed said:
could I get rid of the first issue by using an LED to replace the object?

Wouldn't doing the experiment in a dark room fix the noise problem?

If not, how would I do an ultrasound sensor? I'm not really very familiar with them.

To a certain extent an LED object will "fix" the first problem but you'll need to keep the orientation constant. And yes, a dark room will get rid of most of the noise. But this isn't really a realistic situation is it? Depends what your main goal is I suppose.

The idea with the ultrasound is to make a sonar... send pulses through the transducer and measure the time delay. It will be more complicated than your LDR system.

1. What is a proximity sensor with LDR?

A proximity sensor with LDR (Light Dependent Resistor) is a type of sensor that is designed to detect the presence of an object or person within a specific distance by measuring the amount of light reflected back to the sensor.

2. How does a proximity sensor with LDR work?

The sensor emits a beam of light and measures the amount of light reflected back to the sensor. When an object or person is within the proximity of the sensor, the amount of light reflected back changes, causing the sensor to trigger and send a signal.

3. What are the applications of proximity sensors with LDR?

Proximity sensors with LDR have a wide range of applications, including automatic door openers, security systems, industrial automation, robotics, and many more. They are also commonly used in smartphones and other electronic devices for proximity detection.

4. What are the advantages of using a proximity sensor with LDR?

One of the main advantages of using a proximity sensor with LDR is its high sensitivity, which allows it to detect even small changes in light reflection. They are also cost-effective, easy to integrate, and have a long lifespan.

5. Are there any limitations to using a proximity sensor with LDR?

One limitation of proximity sensors with LDR is that they can be affected by ambient light, which can cause false readings. They are also limited in their detection range, typically up to a few meters. Additionally, they may not work well in outdoor environments due to natural light interference.