Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proxy settings

1. Nov 12, 2003 #1

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I always watch the news over the internet, but all of a sudden I get an error from my RealPlayer, Invalid host string in URL or something. It tells me to do the following:

Select the Use PNA and Use RTSP Proxy checkboxes and enter the information providy by your Network Administrator or Internet Service Provider.

I know how to check the boxes, but what information should I enter??

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2003 #2

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Why do you use realplayer?

1) where are you trying to watch the video (work or home)

2) Are you using a proxy. If your not sure then open internet explorer then go to tools->Internet Options->Connections Tab->Lan Settings

If anything else is checked other than Automatically Detect Settings and there is an internet address in one of the boxes then use the address for the proxy settings in realplayer.

If Auto Detect Settings is the only thing checked then make you have the proxy check boxes in realplayer unchecked

4. Nov 17, 2003 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am trying to watch the news at home, the only reason that I am using Real Player, is that it automatically opens it.. http://cgi.omroep.nl/cgi-bin/play?/tv/nos/journaal/laatste.rm that is the URL.

I did what you said, what if should I do when nothing at all is checked? (not automatic nor proxy)

I tried an automatic configuration from the RealPlayer to the internet, it says the realplayer is configured to play through the TCP protocol?!

The strange thing is: it used to work just fine, the error message appeared recently and I haven't got a clue why :(

5. Nov 17, 2003 #4

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just tried opening the URL in windows media player, but it says the filetype is not supported, annoying :s

6. Nov 17, 2003 #5

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

7. Nov 17, 2003 #6

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

You got me. I'm not much of a windows user anymore. try google.

8. Nov 17, 2003 #7

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, well, good thing I found a working link.. that is all that matters to me I can watch my 8 o'clock news again while browsing PF :wink:

9. Nov 17, 2003 #8
    That’s because both are proprietary and in competition with each another. By law, MS is not allowed to have their Media Player work with Real media. There are, however, other choices available (such as Real Alternative, and QuickTime Alternative) that will install the engines without the intrusive players. Both of the mentioned Alternatives give you the option to install Media Player Classic, which looks like the old Media Player from MS but has much more functionality. MPC can open the links to Real Media files just the way the Real Player does. Additionally, you can purchase programs to download the streamed Real Media files (there may be over a hundred smaller files feeding the stream) then assemble the mess of files into one coherent media file.

No, not getting weirder; notice the extentions, one is .rm the other is .gif.

Anyway, here is a link to help you with configuring;
    http://www.youngzsoft.net/ccproxy/real.html

Good luck.

[edit]
    Oops, sorry, that link is to a shareware program. I didn't take time to read it prior to posting it.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2003
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?