Solving PS2 Mouse Problems on Computer A Running Win XP

• Thread starter pervect
  • Start date
In summary, the issue is with a non-functional mouse on computer A running Windows XP when plugged into the PS2 port. The same mouse works on computer B running Windows 98 and on computer A when plugged into a USB port. Booting computer A without the mouse does not prompt to insert a mouse, while computer B does. It is suspected that the new motherboard may be faulty, but other tests can be done such as trying a known working PS2 mouse on the new computer and testing the mouse on another Windows XP system. It is advised not to plug in a PS2 mouse while the computer is powered on to avoid potential damage.
pervect
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
I have a problem with a mouse that does not work on computer A, running win XP, when plugged into the PS2 port. The same mouse works on older computer B, running win98. The same mouse also works on computer A, when plugged into a USB port (it's a USB/PS2 mouse).

Computer A, when booted with the mouse unplugged, does not prompt me to insert a mouse booting XP. Computer B, when booted, with the mouse unplugged, does prompt me to insert a mouse booting Win98.

My best guess is that the motherboard (fairly new) is bad. Are there any other tests I can do to confirm this diagnosis?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Plug in a PS2 mouse that you know works on any other computer into the new computer. Also, try the mouse on another windows xp system.

1 thing. Don't plug in a ps2 port mouse into your computer unless it is powered off! You will probably either damage your mouse or your motherboard (if you haven't already). I'm guessing that you damaged the PS2 port on the new computer.

Hello there,

Thank you for sharing your issue with us. It sounds like you have already done some troubleshooting and have narrowed down the potential issue to the motherboard on Computer A.

One thing you can try is to check the PS2 port on Computer A for any physical damage or debris that may be preventing the mouse from working. You can also try using a different PS2 mouse on Computer A to see if it works, which can help determine if the issue is with the port or the mouse itself.

Another thing to consider is updating the drivers for the PS2 port on Computer A. Sometimes outdated or corrupted drivers can cause issues with hardware functionality. You can do this by going to the Device Manager in the Control Panel and finding the PS2 port under the "Mice and other pointing devices" section. Right-click on it and select "Update driver."

If these steps do not resolve the issue, then it is likely that the motherboard on Computer A is indeed faulty and may need to be replaced. In the meantime, you can continue to use the USB port for the mouse on Computer A.

I hope this helps and good luck with resolving the issue!

1. How do I troubleshoot a PS2 mouse problem on a Windows XP computer?

To troubleshoot a PS2 mouse problem on a Windows XP computer, follow these steps:

• Check the mouse connection: Make sure the PS2 mouse is connected properly to the computer's PS2 port.
  • Restart the computer: Sometimes a simple restart can solve the issue.
  • Update the drivers: Check for any available updates for the PS2 mouse drivers and install them.
  • Try a different mouse: If possible, try using a different PS2 mouse to see if the problem persists.
  • Check for conflicts: Make sure there are no conflicts with other devices in the Device Manager.

2. Why is my PS2 mouse not working on my Windows XP computer?

There can be several reasons why a PS2 mouse may not be working on a Windows XP computer. Some common reasons include a loose connection, outdated drivers, conflicts with other devices, or a faulty mouse. Follow the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the previous answer to fix the issue.

3. How can I test if my PS2 mouse is working on a Windows XP computer?

To test if your PS2 mouse is working on a Windows XP computer, follow these steps:

• Make sure the mouse is properly connected to the computer's PS2 port.
  • Go to the Control Panel and click on "Mouse".
  • In the "Hardware" tab, click on "Properties".
  • Under the "General" tab, click on "Troubleshoot" to run a diagnostic test on the mouse.
  • If the test is successful, your PS2 mouse is working properly.

4. My PS2 mouse is moving erratically on my Windows XP computer. How can I fix it?

If your PS2 mouse is moving erratically on a Windows XP computer, try these solutions:

• Clean the mouse: Sometimes dirt and dust can cause the mouse to move erratically. Use a cotton swab and rubbing alcohol to clean the mouse.
  • Update the drivers: Make sure your PS2 mouse has the latest drivers installed.
  • Change the mouse settings: Go to the Control Panel, click on "Mouse", and adjust the sensitivity and acceleration settings.
  • Restart the computer: A simple restart can sometimes solve the issue.

5. Can I use a USB mouse instead of a PS2 mouse on a Windows XP computer?

Yes, you can use a USB mouse instead of a PS2 mouse on a Windows XP computer. Most Windows XP computers have USB ports that can support a USB mouse. Simply plug in the USB mouse and it should work without any additional setup or installation.