Preparing for the PSAT: Tips and Strategies for the Writing Section

• Testing
  • Thread starter courtrigrad
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about preparing for the PSAT's. The best way to study for them is to use a prep book and focus on the writing section. Taking practice tests and carefully reasoning out any questions that are not understood is recommended. Learning a foreign language, such as Spanish, can also help with understanding English. It is mentioned that the PSAT is a practice test itself, so there is no need to worry too much. The original post was written over 2 years ago, and the conversation is no longer relevant.
courtrigrad
Hey all

You know PSAT's are next month. What is the best way to study for them? I am using BARRONS NEW PSAT's prep book. I am having the most trouble in writing. How should I study for the writing section?

Any replies would greatly be appreciated!

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Taking a ton of practice tests in writing and reasoning out every one you don't understand carefully is probably the best way. There's probably no other way to learn all the nuances of the English language in preparation for the test unless you had magically internalized them all (which is pretty unlikely this day and age).

If you had more time, I probably would have suggested learning a foreign language like spanish (which helped me greatly in understanding english because of the depth to which you deconstruct the language in order to learn it properly which you do not get in regular english classes), but yeah, throw yourself at those tests.

Well, you should internalize them all because that's the only way you really learn. But I agree, the best thing to do is practice tests. Also remember that the PSAT is pretty much of a practice test in itself so don't worry too much.

just wanted to point out that this thread is over 2 years old, so doesn't really matter now.

courtrigrad said:
just wanted to point out that this thread is over 2 years old, so doesn't really matter now.

You know I didn't think to check the date posted but I did find it curious someone with 1100 posts to his name on such a website would be learning for the psat :rofl:

1. What is the format of the Writing section on the PSAT?

The Writing section of the PSAT consists of 44 multiple-choice questions and one optional essay prompt. The questions are divided into two sections: 35 minutes for 11 Improving Sentences questions and 25 minutes for 33 Identifying Sentence Errors and Improving Paragraphs questions.

2. How should I prepare for the Writing section of the PSAT?

It is important to familiarize yourself with the grammar and writing rules that are tested on the PSAT. Practice with official practice tests and review grammar and writing concepts through study guides or online resources. Additionally, make sure to practice writing essays with timed prompts to improve your essay writing skills.

3. Are there any specific strategies for tackling the Writing section?

One helpful strategy is to read the entire passage before answering the questions. This will give you a better understanding of the overall context and make it easier to identify errors or improve sentences. Additionally, pay attention to transitional words and phrases to help you identify errors in sentence structure and flow.

4. How is the Writing section of the PSAT scored?

The Writing section is scored on a scale of 160-760, with 10-40 points for each of the three sections (Improving Sentences, Identifying Sentence Errors, and Improving Paragraphs). The optional essay is scored separately on a scale of 6-24 points.

5. Is the Writing section important for my overall PSAT score?

Yes, the Writing section is worth one-third of your total PSAT score, along with the Math and Reading sections. A strong performance on the Writing section can significantly improve your overall PSAT score and increase your chances of qualifying for the National Merit Scholarship.