1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pseduoinverse and 2-norm

1. Feb 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that the ||A+|| [tex]\leq[/tex] ||A1-1||
    Where A+=(ATA)-1AT, ||.|| is the 2 norm and A is an mxn matrix

2. Relevant equations

A = [[tex]\stackrel{A1}{A2}[/tex]] where A1 is an nxn nonsingular square matrix and A2 is any random matrix that is (m-n)xn

3. The attempt at a solution

All I did was replace all the A's in the pseduoinverse with A1 and A2 and found the following:
    ||(A1TA1 + A2TA2)_1(A1 A2)|| but cannot proceed much. I really appreciate any help! Thank you.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2009 #2
    Well, (A^TA)^-1=A^-1(A^T)^-1
    So you get that A dagger equals A^-1 by definition, have you wrriten the problem as it is in the book?
  4. Feb 2, 2009 #3
  5. Feb 2, 2009 #4

D H

Staff: Mentor

You did not write the problem as specified in the book.

The book asks you to show that [tex]||A^+||_2 \le ||A_1^{-1}||_2[/tex] . This is not the same as [tex]||A^+||_2 \le ||A^{-1}||_2[/tex] . The latter does not even make sense because A can not have an inverse.
  6. Feb 3, 2009 #5
    Thank you DH! I have corrected my problem - I think all the latex syntax confused me.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?