Pseudo Scalar Relativistic QM problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a spin 1/2 particle and the Dirac equation. The equation includes a potential, which varies between zero and infinity. The individual is seeking help in finding the energy eigenfunctions and eigenvalues, and also explores the behavior of the lowest energy eigenvalue and eigenfunction as the potential approaches infinity. Ultimately, the individual states that they have found a solution to the problem.
robousy
Hi there,

I have a problem that I could really do with a little help on.

I have a spin 1/2 particle in which the dirac eqtn reads:

[tex]

( i {d} - \gamma V(x) - m ) \Phi = 0

[/tex]

(I am new to latex - the d is SLASHED and the gamma is GAMMA5 )

In a potential V(x,t) = 0 for -L LTE x GTE L
= V(zero) otherwise

I have to find:

a) energy eigenfunctions and eigenvalues

b) say what happends to the lowest energy eigenvalue and eigenfunction as the potential goes to infinity.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Rich

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
...I think i have the solution now...so don't worry! :)

Hi Rich,

The problem you have described is known as the Pseudo Scalar Relativistic QM problem. It involves a spin 1/2 particle in a potential that is zero within a certain range and a constant value outside of that range.

To solve this problem, you will need to use the Dirac equation you have provided and apply it to the potential V(x,t). This will give you a differential equation that you can solve to find the energy eigenfunctions and eigenvalues.

As for what happens to the lowest energy eigenvalue and eigenfunction as the potential goes to infinity, it is important to note that the Dirac equation is a relativistic equation and therefore takes into account the effects of special relativity. As the potential goes to infinity, the particle will experience a strong potential barrier, which will cause the lowest energy eigenvalue to increase and the corresponding eigenfunction to become more localized near the potential barrier.

I hope this helps you in solving your problem. Best of luck!

1. What is the Pseudo Scalar Relativistic QM problem?

The Pseudo Scalar Relativistic QM problem is a theoretical problem in quantum mechanics that arises when attempting to incorporate special relativity into the equations. It involves finding a consistent way to describe the behavior of particles moving at high speeds and accounting for their relativistic energy and momentum.

2. How does the Pseudo Scalar Relativistic QM problem differ from the regular QM problem?

The main difference is that the Pseudo Scalar Relativistic QM problem takes into account the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, on the behavior of particles. This requires the use of different equations and approaches compared to traditional quantum mechanics.

3. What are some applications of solving the Pseudo Scalar Relativistic QM problem?

Solving the Pseudo Scalar Relativistic QM problem has important applications in fields such as high-energy physics and astrophysics. It allows us to better understand the behavior of particles at high speeds and make more accurate predictions about their interactions.

4. What are some challenges in solving the Pseudo Scalar Relativistic QM problem?

One of the main challenges is that the equations involved in the Pseudo Scalar Relativistic QM problem are more complex and require advanced mathematical techniques to solve. Another challenge is that there is currently no universally accepted solution to this problem, leading to ongoing research and debate in the scientific community.

5. Are there any proposed solutions to the Pseudo Scalar Relativistic QM problem?

Yes, there have been various proposed solutions to the Pseudo Scalar Relativistic QM problem, such as the Klein-Gordon equation and the Dirac equation. However, these solutions have their own limitations and have not yet been fully accepted as the definitive solution to the problem.