Popular Pseudoscience Video on General Relativity: Analysis & Criticism

In summary, the conversation revolves around a video discussing the concept of a 5th dimension in the context of spacetime intervals. The creator of the video adds a 5th term to the interval equation, but the validity and practicality of this concept are questioned. The concern is raised that the video may perpetuate pseudoscience and may not be thoroughly grounded in mathematical understanding.
Psip
TL;DR Summary
So I saw a video recently a guy on YouTube did in General Relativity from a channel with almost no subscribers. It really blew up and now has over 100k views. In the video he does explain a lot of correct things about GR and gets some things wrong but at the end he proposes a new 5D model that will basically solve every problem with gravity including merging it with quantum mechanics.
Here is the video: [link deleted by moderators]
His basic idea is to take the spacetime interval and add a 5th term for the 5th dimension he is describing so it looks like: $$\Delta S^2 = c^2\Delta t^2 + c^2\Delta w^2 - \Delta x^2 - \Delta y^2 - \Delta z^2 $$
where w is the difference in time between 2 events that 2 observers experience due to gravitational time dilation so:

$$w = T_0 - T_1$$ where $$T_0 = T_1 \sqrt{1-2GM/rc^2}$$

I'm not really well versed in GR but this doesn't really seem right. I mean the units work out. From how I understand the interval given 2 events all observers should agree on the interval between the 2 events. Given a set of events in 1 frame I can transform these coordinates to another frame and get their coordinates and it should match up.

I'm not sure how one would go about this transformation with w, maybe the same way as time? Then how would that work in a curved spacetime? It seems very pseudo-scientific, he doesn't show how this solves anything at all and the best criticism I can leverage against this given my limited knowledge is that it doesn't seem to solve any problems and he just added a term and said it does something important.

The thing that irks me is more that nobody in the comments section as far as I can see has criticized this, they're all saying that its a brilliant video and that he should publish his work in a paper. The video creator even replies saying that hes working on it and new videos are coming. I'm a bit concerned that he is going to keep pushing this out and people are going to keep believing it.

I think GR is so far above most people's heads that if he starts spitting out equations people aren't going to question it. Even a self-proclaimed physics degree holder in the comments says his work is good. Am I missing something here? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he's pursuing understanding these hard topics. I also like his quality editing style, but I think he is basically getting all his physics knowledge from popular science videos and is not well-versed in the math.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your suspicion that this video is not a reliable source is correct. Trying to debunk this kind of pseudoscience is an endless task, one for which PF is neither suited nor intended.

Thread closed.

Likes PhDeezNutz, vanhees71, topsquark and 2 others

1. What is the purpose of analyzing and criticizing popular pseudoscience videos on general relativity?

The purpose of analyzing and criticizing popular pseudoscience videos on general relativity is to debunk false or misleading information and promote accurate understanding of this important scientific theory. By examining these videos and pointing out any errors or misconceptions, we can help prevent the spread of misinformation and educate the public about the true principles of general relativity.

2. How do you determine if a video on general relativity is pseudoscience?

A video on general relativity can be considered pseudoscience if it presents information that is not supported by scientific evidence or if it makes claims that are not in line with established scientific principles. Pseudoscience videos may also use sensationalized language or cherry-pick data to support their claims, rather than presenting a balanced and accurate representation of the topic.

3. What are some common misconceptions about general relativity in popular media?

One common misconception about general relativity is that it only applies to large objects in space, like planets and stars. In reality, general relativity also applies to the behavior of light and other small particles. Another misconception is that general relativity is incompatible with quantum mechanics, when in fact efforts are being made to reconcile the two theories. Additionally, some popular media may oversimplify or misrepresent the complex mathematical concepts involved in general relativity.

4. How can analyzing and criticizing popular pseudoscience videos benefit the scientific community?

Analyzing and criticizing popular pseudoscience videos can benefit the scientific community by raising awareness of false or misleading information and promoting accurate understanding of scientific concepts. By addressing and correcting misconceptions, we can also improve public trust in scientific research and promote critical thinking about scientific claims.

5. What can individuals do to combat the spread of pseudoscience in general relativity videos?

Individuals can combat the spread of pseudoscience in general relativity videos by being critical consumers of information and fact-checking claims made in these videos. It is also important to seek out reputable sources and consult with experts in the field to gain a better understanding of complex scientific topics. Additionally, individuals can share accurate information and educate others about the principles of general relativity to combat the spread of pseudoscience.