Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Pseudospectral method using FFT to solve diff equation

1. Sep 20, 2016 #1
    Hello everyone, i'm trying to solve by FFT a convection diffusion eqaution on a 3 D box with an slit condition on z-axix and periodic conditions on x and y axis.
    ∂C/∂t=D∇[2]C-v⋅∇C (1)
    v=vx + vy + vz
    i have solved the velocity of fluid, i mean a really know what is the velocity of flow field.
    But when i try to solve the eq. (1) i don't see the effect of the convection therm on my solution, this mean in the solution i only get a result like a pure diffusion problem. probably i have a wrong discretization scheme for convective term. but i dont nkow.
    Please help me¡¡

now i show you what its my procedure:

i perform a cranck nicholson scheme for eq. (1):
    C[k+1]-1/2*DΔt(∇[2]C)[k +1]=C[k] +(1/2*DΔt(∇[2]C)-v⋅∇C)[2] (2)

2. Then i transform the convective term (a nonlinear term)
    v⋅∇C=∇⋅(Cv)-C∇⋅v; ∇⋅v=0
    ∇⋅(Cv)→∇.ff=Cv

3. i apply FFT for the terms on x and y axis on eq. (2)
    C'[k+1]-1/2*DΔt(-k[2]C'+d[2]C'/dz[2])[k +1]=C'[k] +(1/2*DΔt(-k[2]+d[2]C'/dx[2])-(-ik*f' + df'z/dz))[2] (3)
    where; k=norm(k); k=k1 +k2; f'= f'x + f'y; C'=∫C(x,y,z)exp(-i*(k)⋅(r))dxdy; r=x + y.
    f'x=∫C(x,y,z)vx(x,y,z)exp(-i*(k)⋅(r))dxdy
    f'y=∫C(x,y,z)vy(x,y,z)exp(-i*(k)⋅(r))dxdy
    f'z=∫C(x,y,z)vz(x,y,z)exp(-i*(k)⋅(r))dxdy

4. then i apply a finite difference discretization on z axis
    Ci'[k+1]-1/2*DΔt(-k[2]C'i+(C'i+1-2C'i+C'i-1)/(Δz*Δz))[k +1]=C'[k] +(1/2*DΔt((-k[2]C'i+(C'i+1-2C'i+C'i-1)/(Δz*Δz))-(-ik1*f'xi -ik2*f'yi + (f'zi-f'zi-1)/Δz))[2] (5)

5. then on matriz notation i have:
    A[k+1]⋅b[k+1]=A[k]⋅b0[k] - bfx[k] - bfy[k]- C[k]⋅bfz[k] (6)

i have been solved but the solution is very similar to pure diffusion problem.

Thanks for your time and sorry for my bad english

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2016 #2
    Thanks for the thread! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post? The more details the better.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted