What Is the Psi Phenomena or Psi Effect in Psychology?

In summary, the conversation discusses a psychological effect related to the brain's ability to retain images even after they are no longer present. It is referred to as the psi phenomena, psi effect, or afterimage. The conversation also mentions the possibility of it being called the 'phi phenomenon', but this is determined to be incorrect.
help1please

Homework Statement

My problem is that I can't remember a certain psychological effect.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I remember reading up a certain phenomenon, or effect of brain. The brain when viewing an image becomes ''imprinted'' into the mind. When that specific image no longer exists, the image may continue to be imprinted in the mind, for many seconds at a time.

I believe it is called the psi phenomena, or psi effect or something along those lines. Does anyone know what I am talking about, finding it difficult finding any related topics on the net to clarify this for me.

Physics news on Phys.org
I was going to call it 'persistence of vision' but that is obviously wrong!

Were you remembering the 'phi phenomenon'?

1. What is psi phenomena/ psi effect?

Psi phenomena, also known as psi effect, refers to the concept of psychic abilities or supernatural phenomena, such as telepathy, clairvoyance, and psychokinesis. It is a controversial topic in the scientific community and has not been proven to exist.

2. Is there any scientific evidence for psi phenomena/ psi effect?

There is currently no scientific evidence that supports the existence of psi phenomena. Many experiments have been conducted to test for these abilities, but the results have not been replicated or proven to be significant.

3. Can anyone develop psi abilities?

There is no scientific evidence that suggests that anyone can develop psi abilities. Some people may claim to have these abilities, but they have not been scientifically proven.

4. How do skeptics explain psi phenomena/ psi effect?

Skeptics argue that psi phenomena are simply the result of coincidence, fraud, or self-deception. They believe that there is no scientific basis for these abilities and that any perceived evidence can be explained by natural or psychological factors.

5. Are there any real-life examples of psi phenomena/ psi effect?

There are many anecdotal stories and claims of psi phenomena, but there is no scientific evidence to support these claims. Many of these anecdotes can be explained by natural or psychological factors, and there is no concrete evidence that these abilities actually exist.