Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PSK Chip required

1. Feb 18, 2009 #1
    i cant find PSK chip for my project.

Actually i am student of Electronic Engg. and doing a project on serial communication through power lines in home between two computers.

i m using PSK modulation as sending signal on power line.

here in my country 220V and 50Hz frequency is used for electricity so i want to know that what type of circuit i should us for the isolation of my circuit from 220V.

can anybody help in this case

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

My company makes powerline transceivers. Read about coupling circuits in our powerline transceiver databook:

http://www.echelon.com/support/documentation/manuals/transceivers/005-0193-01B_PL_Data_Book.pdf

Keep in mind that those coupling circuits are optimized for our frequencies and waveforms, so you will need to modify them to suit your own design.

4. Feb 19, 2009 #3
    Thank u for your relpy

can u please suggest me any simulation software for the coupling circuits

5. Feb 19, 2009 #4

berkeman

6. Feb 20, 2009 #5
    Thanks of ur relpy

7. Feb 20, 2009 #6
    i want to know that how to use a 74HCT4046 PLL device as when i will going to use frequency modulation in project?

8. Feb 20, 2009 #7

berkeman

That's a very broad question, and I suspect that you are supposed to be figuring this stuff out on your own as part of your project. What learning resources are you using for the 4046, for PLLs in general, and for FM modulation and detection?

Here is an app note from National Semiconductor about the 4046 PLL, for example:

http://www.national.com/an/AN/AN-210.pdf#page=5 [Broken]

Have you already read it? Also, keep in mind that there are some laws about how much and what kind of signal you can put onto the powerlines for communication. You will need to obey these laws in your project circuit work. They are discussed in the Echelon document that I pointed you to earlier. They vary country-by-country, but most of Europe has a common set of standards. See the discussion of CENELEC in the Echelon document.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  9. Feb 21, 2009 #8
    Thank u for reply
    But the document u have given it cant help me in searching of the laws(protocals) used in powerline communication

e.g
    the maximium frequence i can use on powerlines for modulation of signal

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook