PSK Modulation for Serial Communication on Power Lines | How to Find a PSK Chip

• Thread starter abs_heroever
  • Start date
In summary: HZ?No, the frequency you can use on the powerlines for modulation of a signal is based on the country in which you are located. Check with your local government to find out the frequency restrictions for your area.
abs_heroever
i can't find PSK chip for my project.

Actually i am student of Electronic Engg. and doing a project on serial communication through power lines in home between two computers.

i m using PSK modulation as sending signal on power line.

here in my country 220V and 50Hz frequency is used for electricity so i want to know that what type of circuit i should us for the isolation of my circuit from 220V.

can anybody help in this case

Engineering news on Phys.org
abs_heroever said:
i can't find PSK chip for my project.

Actually i am student of Electronic Engg. and doing a project on serial communication through power lines in home between two computers.

i m using PSK modulation as sending signal on power line.

here in my country 220V and 50Hz frequency is used for electricity so i want to know that what type of circuit i should us for the isolation of my circuit from 220V.

can anybody help in this case

My company makes powerline transceivers. Read about coupling circuits in our powerline transceiver databook:

http://www.echelon.com/support/documentation/manuals/transceivers/005-0193-01B_PL_Data_Book.pdf

Keep in mind that those coupling circuits are optimized for our frequencies and waveforms, so you will need to modify them to suit your own design.

Thank u for your relpy

can u please suggest me any simulation software for the coupling circuits

abs_heroever said:
Thank u for your relpy

can u please suggest me any simulation software for the coupling circuits

Some SPICE package. This thread lists some options, including free SPICE software packages:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=211811

Thanks of ur relpy

i want to know that how to use a 74HCT4046 PLL device as when i will going to use frequency modulation in project?

abs_heroever said:
i want to know that how to use a 74HCT4046 PLL device as when i will going to use frequency modulation in project?

That's a very broad question, and I suspect that you are supposed to be figuring this stuff out on your own as part of your project. What learning resources are you using for the 4046, for PLLs in general, and for FM modulation and detection?

Here is an app note from National Semiconductor about the 4046 PLL, for example:

http://www.national.com/an/AN/AN-210.pdf#page=5

Have you already read it? Also, keep in mind that there are some laws about how much and what kind of signal you can put onto the powerlines for communication. You will need to obey these laws in your project circuit work. They are discussed in the Echelon document that I pointed you to earlier. They vary country-by-country, but most of Europe has a common set of standards. See the discussion of CENELEC in the Echelon document.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank u for reply
But the document u have given it can't help me in searching of the laws(protocals) used in powerline communication

e.g
the maximium frequence i can use on powerlines for modulation of signal

1. What is PSK modulation for serial communication on power lines?

PSK (Phase Shift Keying) modulation is a digital modulation technique that is used to transmit data over power lines. It involves changing the phase of the carrier signal in order to represent the binary data being transmitted.

2. How does PSK modulation work?

PSK modulation works by dividing the carrier signal into different phases, each representing a different bit of data. The phase shift is then detected by the receiving device and decoded to retrieve the original data.

3. What are the advantages of using PSK modulation for serial communication on power lines?

PSK modulation allows for efficient data transmission over power lines as it is less affected by noise and interference compared to other modulation techniques. It also provides a higher data rate and better error correction capabilities.

4. How do I find a PSK chip for my serial communication needs?

There are various manufacturers and suppliers of PSK chips that can be found online. Before purchasing, it is important to consider the specific requirements and compatibility with your system.

5. Can PSK modulation be used for long distance communication on power lines?

Yes, PSK modulation can be used for long distance communication on power lines. However, the quality of the signal may deteriorate over longer distances due to attenuation and noise. Proper signal amplification and filtering may be required for successful communication.