PSpice question: How do I plot equivalent impedance v. frequency?

In summary, the conversation is about plotting equivalent impedance vs. frequency in AC mode. The person is having trouble manually writing trace expressions for zeq and is asking for tips. They also ask about the meaning of the trace expression IP(some element) and how to plot Zeq vs. frequency from the original circuit. They mention using a resistor and inductor in series with an AC voltage source to model the Zeq. They also mention having trouble with the imaginary part, and mention Spice and ping @berkeman.
seang
How do I plot equivalent impedance v. frequency? I'm already in AC mode so the frequency is taken care of, but I keep trying to manually write trace expressions for zeq and nothing is working. any tips?

EDIT: What does the trace expression IP(some element) mean? I think its related.
EDIT2: I think i got it, I'm just V/I in the trace. I think its working how I want.

EDIT 3: Not quite, let me provide a few more details. I've modeled the Zeq by a resistor and an inductor in series with an AC voltage source. Is this the way I should model it? Or is there a way I can do it directly from the original circuit. If so, from there how should I plot the Zeq v. freq? I'm especially having trouble thinking about the imaginary part.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What is PSpice and how does it work?

PSpice is a simulation software used for analyzing and designing electronic circuits. It uses mathematical models and algorithms to simulate the behavior of electronic components and circuits. PSpice allows users to input circuit parameters and test different designs without physically building the circuit.

2. How do I plot equivalent impedance versus frequency in PSpice?

To plot equivalent impedance versus frequency in PSpice, you will need to first create a circuit schematic and add a frequency sweep simulation profile. Then, run the simulation and plot the impedance values at each frequency point. You can also export the data to a spreadsheet for further analysis.

3. What is equivalent impedance and why is it important?

Equivalent impedance is the single impedance value that represents the combined effect of all components in a circuit. It is important because it allows us to analyze the behavior of a complex circuit as a whole, rather than looking at individual components separately. Equivalent impedance can also help us determine the overall performance and efficiency of the circuit.

4. Can I plot multiple equivalent impedances on the same graph in PSpice?

Yes, you can plot multiple equivalent impedances on the same graph in PSpice. You can do this by adding multiple impedance measurements in the simulation profile and selecting the option to plot all measurements on one graph. This allows for easy comparison of different designs or component values.

5. Are there any tips for accurately plotting equivalent impedance versus frequency in PSpice?

One tip for accurately plotting equivalent impedance versus frequency in PSpice is to use a frequency sweep range that covers a wide range of frequencies, including the frequencies of interest. It is also important to use accurate component values and models in the circuit schematic. Additionally, checking for convergence and adjusting simulation settings can help improve the accuracy of the results.