1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pspice ring oscillator

1. Mar 13, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm required to design a simple ring oscillator... One with three stages of cascaded cmos inverters using pspice capture(student version)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have simulated the circuit with a 5v supply but all i see is a dc line at 2.50v.has this got something to do with triggering the oscillator?.. Please help me. I'm completely new to this.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2015 #2

LvW

At first, it would be very helpful (for us) to see your schematic.
    Secondly - do you know the basic working principles of (a) a CMOS inverter (linear application) and (b) such a ring oscillator?
    If yes - give a short summary.

4. Mar 14, 2015 #3
    ringckt.png ringwave.png

Attached Files:

5. Mar 14, 2015 #4
    Should have done that in the first place.

Inverters and ring oscillator--yes i know the basics about them.But i've studied them all as digital circuits(using just gates).Pspice--i know next to nothing and all these codes with models of transistors just confuse me.

Basically,what i know of a ring oscillator--it is a circuit with only one stable operating point that is vin=vout=threshold of the inverter.Therefore,whenever there's a devviation from this the circuit starts oscillating and this goes on indefinitely because of the feedback.

One thing i don't get is how this initial deviation should be done--i found references to a single pulse,a part named initial conditions.I've tried them all but they don't work for me.
    I'd really appreciate any help on this.just telling me what i've done wrong would be good enough.

Thanks.

6. Mar 14, 2015 #5

LvW

1.) Your diagram cannot be evaluated. Are YOIU able to read it - as it appears here?
    2.) Why does the ring oscillator oscillate? How is the frequency determined?

7. Mar 15, 2015 #6

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

I think you're supposed to use buffered inverters, where there is no possibility of stable DC operation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted