Pst File Corrupt Went From ~2Gb to 0Kb

• Thread starter jeremiel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    File
In summary, the conversation is about a person experiencing an error message when trying to open their Outlook 2003 program. They then discover that the .pst file has become 0Kb and they last successfully opened it a week ago when it was working fine. They wonder if it can be repaired and ask for suggestions, such as checking for backups or restoring an older version of the file. There is also a mention of the file size approaching 2Gb and a warning about the largest 32-bit signed number. The conversation ends with the possibility of spam and the thread being closed.
jeremiel
I have outlook 2003. I opend it this morning and received an error message that the set of folders could not be expanded. So I closed the .pst file and then tried to reopen it. I then received an error that outlook did not recognize the file type. I then went to where the file is located and to my the surprise the file size is now 0Kb. I last successfully opend it on Thursday last week and it was working fine. I imagine it was aproaching 2Gb. Any chance this can be repaired? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Backups?

Try and see if you can restore a shadow copy of the file from an earlier date.
previous-versions-1.png

I shamelessly stole this image from another site on the internet. Find out where you pst file is, then right click on it and see if there's an older version that you can restore it to.
You might get lucky and not lose much data.

jeremiel said:
I imagine it was aproaching 2Gb.
The largest 32-bit signed number is 2 147 483 647. If you add 1, you get -2 147 483 648 (and an overflow). If Outlook uses signed number for the file size, the file size suddenly went negative!

OP hasn't been back since posting that message. This is simply a setup for spam.

Thread closed.

Likes Borg

What is a Pst file?

A Pst file is a personal storage folder created by Microsoft Outlook to store emails, calendars, contacts, and other items. It is a data file used by Microsoft Outlook to store and organize email messages, contacts, calendar events, and other data.

What does it mean when a Pst file is corrupt?

A corrupt Pst file means that the data within the file has become inaccessible or damaged. This can happen due to various reasons such as errors in the file, system crashes, or virus attacks. When a Pst file is corrupt, it may not open or may cause errors while accessing the data within it.

How can a Pst file go from ~2Gb to 0Kb?

This can happen if the Pst file gets severely corrupted or damaged. When this happens, the file size may appear as 0Kb, which means that all the data within the file has been lost or become inaccessible. This can happen due to various reasons such as hardware or software issues, power outages, or improper closing of Outlook.

Can a Pst file be repaired?

Yes, a Pst file can be repaired using the built-in repair tool provided by Microsoft Outlook. This tool, called ScanPst.exe, scans the Pst file for errors and attempts to repair them. However, if the file is severely damaged, it may not be repairable. In such cases, it is recommended to use a third-party Pst repair tool or seek professional help.

How can I prevent Pst file corruption?

To prevent Pst file corruption, it is important to regularly back up your Pst file. This will ensure that you have a copy of your important data in case of any corruption or damage. It is also important to properly close Outlook and avoid sudden system shutdowns while Outlook is running. Additionally, keeping your computer and Outlook software up to date can also help prevent Pst file corruption.