Psychedelic Music: What Did You Listen To?

• Music
  • Thread starter chaoseverlasting
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Evo Music
In summary, the forum members listened to a lot of psychedelic music during the 1960s and 1970s. Some Led Zep tracks head in that direction (No Quarter), a lot of Pink Floyd, and Hendrex's Voodoo Child. Tibetan chants too are very very trippy at times. Some of the members of the forum must have lived through the whole psychedelia period.
Ivan Seeking said:
You guys had better be careful. I saw G. Gordon Liddy poking around.

Or was that Judge Doom after Roger Rabbit?

Science news on Phys.org
A few 30 Seconds to Mars songs from their first album:

93 Million Miles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK52ZaMYxJY

Edge of the Earth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHn1LfqE-jE

Welcome to the Universe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcLJmDQJ2oo

turbo-1 said:
I can skip ALL Rush, thanks. Way over-rated.

Blasphemy! :tongue:

Alfi said:
"NOT Starship " ... too funny :) White rabbit ( Surrealistic Pillow ) is a classic onto itself.
Feed your head !
yep ! All those albums are included in my collection. Good tunes.
Surrealistic Pillow was done when they were J. Airplane. Starship came later - more pop rock than psych or classic rock. Surrealistic Pillow was released in '67, JA disbanded in '73, JS came along in ~'74-75.

I think the Doors' Riders on the Storm is a bit psych - with organ and some of the guitar licks.

Evo said:
More truly psychedelic music Fever Tree - San Francisco Girls. This is what psychedelic music sounded like.

Oh - yeah - classic! That generates flashbacks - er, memories - yeah memories. :biggrin:

Those were the good 'ole days.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know now many of you have heard of them, or listen to them, but the band MGMT has some pretty trippy stuff out there. Currently one of my favorite bands. Essentially the entire 'Oracular Spectacular' album is pretty awesome. Here's a few of my favorites:
Kids - MGMT
Weekend Wars
Time to Pretend

[STRIKE][/STRIKE]
turbo-1 said:
I can skip ALL Rush, thanks. Way over-rated.

10-4 ---

to me his voice was somewhere between fingernails on a blackboard and a cat fight (between cats, not women)--

Last edited:
rewebster said:
[STRIKE][/STRIKE]

10-4 ---

to me his voice was somewhere between fingernails on a blackboard and a cat fight (between cats, not women)--
That is one of the things that distinguished them from the others.

DaveC426913 said:
There were a couple of female DJs in the area that adored Rush and over-played them to no end. One reason I grew very sick of them very quickly. After about the 100th time of having to sit through Tom Sawyer, or try to find another radio station that will come in OK in the truck... Their music could make me hit the SEEK button faster than an advertisement. At least the ad wouldn't last for 3+ minutes. Same effect when Axl Rose or Jon Bon Jovi sang. They both have voices like rusty hinges - yuck.

turbo-1 said:
After about the 100th time of having to sit through Tom Sawyer, or try to find another radio station that will come in OK in the truck... Their music could make me hit the SEEK button faster than an advertisement. At least the ad wouldn't last for 3+ minutes. Same effect when Axl Rose or Jon Bon Jovi sang. They both have voices like rusty hinges - yuck.

For me, it's Comfortably Numb. I used to like Floyd, but now, if I never hear anything from The Wall again, it will be too soon.

And now I've given up on Q107 Classic Rock altogether. (I've Made Room for the Boom!)

DaveC426913 said:

just because they were (are) different, to me, is not a motivation to listen to them----

I agree with turbo----if only there was a automatic setting on radio to change channels when rush came on

There's a woman DJ in my area that drools over rush too----maybe some women like rush because they sound like a crying whining baby which needs their attention and its more of a reaction which stimulates the female hormones...

this, for some reason, got me to think about string theory...

Well, I don't know the exact criterion for Psychedaelic music, but I do believe that this thread would be lacking if nobody mentioned Miles Davis "Bitches Brew". It is a bit different from the more Classic Rock esque bands being suggested, but I believe it to be fairly trippy music

That album cover -- for 30 seconds to Mars -- with the young boy on it is very well done.

The music, imo, not so much.

Nice contrast; he looks so young, yet jaded at the same time.

The most exploitative work a la psychedelic...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ8k...ZCJSSL9iGHM Stay on groovin' safari, Tor

Well, moi ain't got enough brains to get the YouTube link to work soooooooooooo here's the vids' URLs.

The most exploitative work a la psychedelic

The happiest trippy song

I feel inclined
To blow my mind
Get hung-up feed the ducks with a bun
They all come out
To groove about
Be nice and have fun in the sun

and one you may have never heard

Stay on groovin' safari,
Tor

And here's one you'd want on the turntable as the sun goes down, errrrrrr... I mean - as Earth spins.

Psychedelic Music it's Shpongle and Hallucinogen!

http://soundcloud.com/bedhead-1 [Broken]

I like the heavier type of psychedelic music. I guess some people consider it "stoner" metal/sludge metal with some proggy elements. A lot of the influences can be traced back to psych rock
Russian Circles -
Mastodon -
Baroness -
And of course... Tool -

Maybe some Pink Floyd fans will at least...Appreciate Cynic's work.

Here's a few artists I'd like to recommend, for fans of psychedelic and .. well, I like to call it "interesting music". Genres are hard!

Mountains In The Sky -
Future Sound Of London -
Daedelus -
Amon Tobin -
The Cinematic Orchestra -
Jaga Jazzist -

:)

<h2>1. What is psychedelic music?</h2><p>Psychedelic music is a genre of music that emerged in the 1960s and is characterized by its use of psychedelic drugs, such as LSD, to create mind-altering sounds and lyrics. It often features elements of Eastern music, electronic effects, and unconventional song structures.</p><h2>2. What are some examples of psychedelic music?</h2><p>Some well-known examples of psychedelic music include songs by The Beatles, Pink Floyd, The Doors, and Jimi Hendrix.</p><h2>3. How did psychedelic music influence the counterculture movement?</h2><p>Psychedelic music played a significant role in the counterculture movement of the 1960s. It served as a medium for promoting the use of psychedelic drugs and promoting ideas of peace, love, and anti-establishment. The music also reflected the political and social turmoil of the time and encouraged listeners to question authority and challenge societal norms.</p><h2>4. What are the key characteristics of psychedelic music?</h2><p>The key characteristics of psychedelic music include the use of unconventional song structures, experimentation with sound and electronic effects, and lyrics that often explore themes of spirituality, altered states of consciousness, and social issues. It also incorporates elements of various musical genres, such as rock, folk, and world music.</p><h2>5. Is psychedelic music still relevant today?</h2><p>While the peak of psychedelic music was in the 1960s, it continues to influence and inspire musicians today. Many contemporary artists incorporate elements of psychedelic music into their own music, and the genre continues to have a devoted fan base. Additionally, the themes and messages of psychedelic music, such as individualism and social activism, are still relevant in modern society.</p>

1. What is psychedelic music?

Psychedelic music is a genre of music that emerged in the 1960s and is characterized by its use of psychedelic drugs, such as LSD, to create mind-altering sounds and lyrics. It often features elements of Eastern music, electronic effects, and unconventional song structures.

2. What are some examples of psychedelic music?

Some well-known examples of psychedelic music include songs by The Beatles, Pink Floyd, The Doors, and Jimi Hendrix.

3. How did psychedelic music influence the counterculture movement?

Psychedelic music played a significant role in the counterculture movement of the 1960s. It served as a medium for promoting the use of psychedelic drugs and promoting ideas of peace, love, and anti-establishment. The music also reflected the political and social turmoil of the time and encouraged listeners to question authority and challenge societal norms.

4. What are the key characteristics of psychedelic music?

The key characteristics of psychedelic music include the use of unconventional song structures, experimentation with sound and electronic effects, and lyrics that often explore themes of spirituality, altered states of consciousness, and social issues. It also incorporates elements of various musical genres, such as rock, folk, and world music.

5. Is psychedelic music still relevant today?

While the peak of psychedelic music was in the 1960s, it continues to influence and inspire musicians today. Many contemporary artists incorporate elements of psychedelic music into their own music, and the genre continues to have a devoted fan base. Additionally, the themes and messages of psychedelic music, such as individualism and social activism, are still relevant in modern society.