Psychology: How will we react to discovery of alien life

• Thread starter jim mcnamara
  • Start date
  • Featured
We need to get ready for the encounters, in my opinion. If we encounter ET (like us) tomorrow, then we will most likely go mad. War will break out, instability could destroy us and all the scientists will go mad.
I don't think there is a good way to predict that. Because a big part depends on "them" and what they will actually do ...

Likes ISamson
pinball1970
Gold Member
If there was an interstellar ET civilization they could just as likely be motivated to wipe us out in order to eliminate a potential future threat

Yes that was the reason for my pessimistic view, I hardly read fiction now but the book “the killing star” 1995 deals with this very question.

If ET is intelligent why would they want to harm us?

This could be a wiki summing up or a quote from the book not sure but this answers it

the moment humans learned to travel at relativistic speeds was the moment mankind simply became too dangerous a neighbor to have around. Nothing personal.

In this physical reality, there are no ET-fellows. This reality is simulated, and the simulating computer, and the IT staff above all, have obviously so many problems simulating our brains that it's clear that we are more than enough.
And who simulated us? Is "he"/Are "they" a simulation too? And who simulated "him"/"them"? If not, why can't we be the real (original) stuff? [because I know we are ...]

Evo
Mentor
There is no way to know how we would react. Thread closed.