Psychotic music listeners

1. Pengwuino

Pengwuino 7,118
    Gold Member

Get out of my thread yomamma

I've started to notice that people are absolutely psychotic about music. It's as if its oxygen to them. If someone doesnt listen to music for a few hours, they will become murderous. I would say a good 90% of my friends say music is the most important thing in their lives. Not family, not friends, not their girlfriends/boyfriends.... their music :grumpy: Theres something seriously wrong with this country and its teens/young adults/children. We want to wake up to music, we want mp3 players in our showers, we want to have portable mp3 players, mp3 players on our cell phones, mp3 players in our cars. It's as if being away from their stupid music will drastically reduce their happiness. Pathetic. I don't see why we haven't whiped ourselves out yet.

2. jcsd
  3. JamesU

JamesU 745
    Gold Member

shut up pengwuino

4. Pengwuino

Pengwuino 7,118
    Gold Member

Did you not read the disclaimer

5. JamesU

JamesU 745
    Gold Member

I did, but I don't care about what it has to say

6. Pengwuino

Pengwuino 7,118
    Gold Member

I'm going to feed you to Ivan's deer

7. Moonbear

Moonbear 12,266
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was out with the some folks last weekend, and we made the same observation. There are people who can't seem to put down the mp3 players. As a group, we concurred that we don't really like having music on non-stop like that, and especially when awareness of surroundings is more important (I like to hear what's going on around me when I'm out walking downtown, or even the long walk to the parking lot from the building I work in...you want to know if there's a car coming up behind you as you're walking through the parking lot, or if someone else is walking behind you).

8. JamesU

JamesU 745
    Gold Member

I'm sure the deer would rather have some Pengwuin-o's for breakfast

9. selfAdjoint

selfAdjoint 8,147
    Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I'm sitting here listening to WFMT streaming (somebody's string symphony), and wondering when this thread is going to come to any point.

10. WOOOOOOOO......we have a new contender to hate pengwunio. Welcome to the club sir!

11. turbo

turbo 7,366
    Gold Member

I guess I would be one of the people that Penquino is ranting about. Although I cherish periods of silence, listening to the song-birds all around the house, etc, I want to listen to music most of the day. I have several hundred vinyl albums, and hundreds upon hundreds of CDs. Most of them fit in my 400-CD Sony carousel player, and I leave it on shuffle for hours at a time. I just listened to a great T-Bone Walker song, and now the Lovin' Spoonful are on. Next might be Vince Gill, Robben Ford, the Yardbirds, Emmylou Harris, Guy Clark, Elvis Costello, Buddy Guy, AC-DC, Mary Black, Hendrix, John Hiatt, Tony Rice, Aerosmith...who knows? There's some of everything in there except opera and hip-hop, both of which are like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

I have been avidly listening to music for over 50 years, and still have albums by the Ink Spots and the Mills Brothers that my mom had when I was a tyke. I started playing professionally in the '60's and earned my pocket money in college playing frat parties, and buying and selling and repairing guitars and amps. Life without music would be unthinkable. If the power goes out, I'll grab one of my acoustic guitars and make my own music.

12. JasonRox

JasonRox 2,327
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Same here. People are being less aware of their surroundings. People don't value being attentive. They are so concerned with being cool, looking busy and showing others how much more they have in their life.

I have an iPod with close to 1000 songs on it, a PocketPC with lots of memory cards that have movies and TV shows, and a bunch of other toys. I rarely use them that often at all. I take the bus the school which is like 40-60 minute ride (depends on the day) and I only take the iPod to school once a week. I take my PocketPC when I take the bus out of town because that's like 90 minutes and so I watch TV. All the other days I'm reading a book on the bus, sitting in the back talk, or just hanging enjoy myself.

With all the opportunities I have to use an MP3 player, I still don't use it because that takes away so much more from you while you don't even know it.

Live life; don't try to escape life.

13. JamesU

JamesU 745
    Gold Member

Turbo-1, you need an iPod

14. Pengwuino

Pengwuino 7,118
    Gold Member

No you don't count. Im talking about people like yomamma who dont know the meaning of money and have ipods.

15. JamesU

JamesU 745
    Gold Member

So because I own an iPod, I am overly psychotic when it comes to music?

16. Write the companion matrix Cp for p(t) = 6-5t+t^2, and then find the characteristic polynomial of Cp.

17. Pengwuino

Pengwuino 7,118
    Gold Member

Boy apple made a fortune....

18. JasonRox

JasonRox 2,327
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Same here. People are being less aware of their surroundings. People don't value being attentive. They are so concerned with being cool, looking busy and showing others how much more they have in their life.

I have an iPod with close to 1000 songs on it, a PocketPC with lots of memory cards that have movies and TV shows, and a bunch of other toys. I rarely use them that often at all. I take the bus the school which is like 40-60 minute ride (depends on the day) and I only take the iPod to school once a week. I take my PocketPC when I take the bus out of town because that's like 90 minutes and so I watch TV. All the other days I'm reading a book on the bus, sitting in the back talk, or just hanging enjoy myself.

With all the opportunities I have to use an MP3 player, I still don't use it because that takes away so much more from you while you don't even know it.

Live life; don't try to escape life.

19. Pengwuino

Pengwuino 7,118
    Gold Member

and to me, it makes me think they have far less in their life.

20. turbo

turbo 7,366
    Gold Member

Well, I can be in Nirvana for hours upon hours without listening to music, but that's mainly when I'm cranking the Softail through the mountains, enjoying the twisty-road ride, the smells, and the views. I owned a touring bike for a while (Road King was a bad mistake!) and never ever thought to install a sound system, though it was set up for one. I do not understand people who need to have a radio blaring on a MC or in their little cheap cars with the subwoofers going "THUMP, THUMP, THUMP" down the road. How can that be enjoyable? I remember riding with friends in high-school and we would turn down or shut off the radio so that we could hear each other talk and have understandable conversations.

21. Evo

Staff: Mentor

I enjoy music, but only at certain times. I love hearing the sounds around me. I almost always drive with the radio/CD player off. I rarely have anything going (tv, radio, stereo) when I am at home. I just don't like the constant bombardment of noise. If I listen to something, it should have meaning and at a time I can appreciate it, not just constant chatter in the background, how can anyone do that and not go insane?

At night, I love listening to the wind rustling the leaves, frogs croaking, and so many other little sounds, it's so pleasant.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?