1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PTI forever?

1. Aug 9, 2008 #1
    Hi,
    I have interviewed for a full-time position 2 times and both times I was told that the only reason that I was not hired was because the person that was chosen had more experience than I do...however the Department heads both times told me that they want me to stick around to teach 10-14 hours (full time is 15, as you probably know). I only have a year in the classroom outside of being a TA (for two years, plus EXTENSIVE tutoring) and the people that were chosen both have 20+ years experience(CLASSROOM).

I have had EXCELLENT student evals and my failure rate is HALF of my colleagues'. (Not hard to have a rate that's half of everyone else's when the existing one was 50%.....)

Should I go to the high school realm or should I go ahead and make $20,000/yr less than those who are teaching fewer classes? (I'm teaching Developmental Math and it's a 3-2-2 set up ((3 hours credit, 2 hours lecture, 2 hours lab...as of this semester, the TA's will run the labs))....we only get 2 hours credit for each class) which means that 14 hours is 7 classes. The full time folks have 5 or MAYBE 6 classes. Is this considered paying my dues or just "we need a body"?

Do you think that I have a chance of going full time? Am I just being used? Or both?

You guys who have been there please tell me what you think.

Thanks in advance,
    CC

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2008 #2
    Re: PTI...forever?

Regarding the high school option, does your state have a fast-track to the classroom (aka "alternative licensure" or "alternative certification"), or will you need to take the required education coursework first before you can get a job?

4. Aug 11, 2008 #3

Yeah, We have the fast track thing. You are required to take online classes with the University and are allowed to teach in the meantime. There are 2 spots open now for the Fall in Trig, Calc I and Algebra (I & II). I dunno what to do. I like teaching in the College setting because classroom management issues are much easier. The high school here can be scary. Lots of gangs, etc......

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  5. Aug 11, 2008 #4

according to ks_physicist
    it sounds like a must

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?