The Bartimaeus Trilogy Finale: Ptolemy's Gate - A Fantasy Must-Read!

In summary, the conversation is about the book Ptolemy's Gate, the final book in the Bartimaeus Trilogy, and its comparison to other fantasy books such as The Lord of the Rings. The participants discuss their opinions on fantasy books and suggest starting with LOTR. The speaker also shares their thoughts on Ptolemy's Gate, stating that it was good but not as good as the others in the trilogy.
siddharth
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I finally got my hands on Ptolemy's Gate (Final book of the Bartimaeus Trilogy). It was absolutley fantastic. This has got to be one the best fantasy books around. If you ask me, it's right up there with LOTR. How many of you have read the book?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have always being sort of 'iffy' about reading fantasy books. Are they any good?

It depends on the person who's reading them. Some people might think that books on magic,dragons and all that which are not real, are just plain silly. But I like reading such books anyway. Why don't you pick up one and start reading and see if you like it? The Lord of the Rings would be an ideal book to start with.

mmm the LOTR is a bit lengthy. I can't finish it cause i always lose track. Anyway Ptolemy's gate was cool and i finshed it today. It's a bit too serious and not quite as good as the others.

1. What is the plot of Ptolemy's Gate?

The plot of Ptolemy's Gate, the final book in The Bartimaeus Trilogy, follows the continued struggle between the magicians and the commoners in a world where magic exists. The main character, Nathaniel, must navigate political alliances, personal relationships, and his own inner demons as he faces off against a powerful enemy who threatens to destroy everything he holds dear.

2. Do I need to read the first two books in the series to understand Ptolemy's Gate?

While it is recommended to read the entire series in order, Ptolemy's Gate can also be enjoyed as a standalone novel. However, readers may miss out on important character development and plot points if they skip the first two books.

3. Is Ptolemy's Gate appropriate for younger readers?

The Bartimaeus Trilogy is generally recommended for readers ages 12 and up. However, Ptolemy's Gate does contain mature themes and some violence, so parents may want to use their discretion when deciding if it is appropriate for their child.

4. What makes Ptolemy's Gate a must-read for fantasy fans?

Ptolemy's Gate offers a unique blend of magic, politics, and complex characters that will keep readers on the edge of their seats until the very end. The world-building is rich and detailed, and the plot is full of twists and turns that will surprise even the most seasoned fantasy readers.

5. Will there be more books in The Bartimaeus Trilogy?

No, Ptolemy's Gate is the final book in The Bartimaeus Trilogy. However, fans of the series can continue to explore the world and characters through other books and short stories set in the same universe, such as The Ring of Solomon and The Bartimaeus Graphic Novel.