Is Pu Impossible to Mine in Nature Due to Its Short Half-Life?

• Thread starter jimmyy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nature
In summary: U 235, T1/2 = 7.038E8 y In summary, Pu cannot be found in nature in significant quantities and is typically produced in nuclear reactors or other facilities from Uranium. While there are natural nuclear reactors that can produce Pu, the half-lives of the fissile Pu isotopes are relatively short, resulting in trace amounts that are not economically viable to mine.
jimmyy
Is it correct that Pu cannot be found in nature?
What I mean acctually is that while Uranium can be mined, Pu from what I have searchd on wikipedia cannot be mined.

I know that Pu is produced in nuclear reactors(or other facilities) from Uranium.

Physics news on Phys.org

jimmyy said:
I know that Pu is produced in nuclear reactors(or other facilities) from Uranium.
The question is difficult to answer, because there are plenty of "natural" reactor out there. So yes, you can find Pu which has not been produced by a human reaction.

I think humanino is probably right but it hasn't been discovered yet and I would assume that there are only tiny quantities of it.

Oklo: Natural Nuclear Reactors
http://www.ocrwm.doe.gov/factsheets/doeymp0010.shtml
http://www.ans.org/pi/np/oklo/

There are very few 'natural reactors' or deposits of U ores that went critical. Natural U is about 99.3% U-238 and ~0.7% U-235. But the U oxide content of U-bearing ores is very low - at most a few %.

The half-lives of the fissile or fissionable Pu-isotopes are relatively short, so if they do form by neutron capture in U-238 (with subsequent beta decay U-239 -> Np-239 -> Pu-239), there will be very little Pu remaining after millions or billions of years, i.e. trace quantities (ppm levels) that would not be economical to mine.

Pu 239, T1/2 = 24110 y
Pu 240, T1/2 = 6561 y
Pu 241, T1/2 = 14.29 y
Pu 242, T1/2 = 3.75E+5 y

U 238, T1/2 = 4.468E9 y

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is Pu and why can't it be found in nature?

Pu, also known as plutonium, is a synthetic chemical element with the atomic number 94. It was first discovered in 1940 and is mainly produced in nuclear reactors. It cannot be found in nature because it is a man-made element and does not occur naturally on Earth.

2. Are there any exceptions where Pu can be found in nature?

No, Pu cannot be found in nature in any significant quantities. However, trace amounts of plutonium have been detected in the Earth's crust due to nuclear testing and accidents, such as the Chernobyl disaster.

3. Can Pu be created through natural processes?

No, Pu cannot be created through natural processes. It can only be produced through artificial means, such as nuclear reactions or particle accelerators.

4. Is Pu dangerous for the environment and human health?

Yes, Pu is a highly radioactive and toxic element, making it dangerous for the environment and human health. Exposure to even small amounts of plutonium can cause serious health effects, including cancer.

5. What are the uses of Pu if it cannot be found in nature?

Pu is mainly used in nuclear weapons and nuclear reactors to generate electricity. It is also used in some medical procedures, such as radiation therapy for cancer treatment. However, due to its potential dangers, its production and use are strictly regulated by government agencies.