Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Public Address System Prank

1. Sep 26, 2016 #1
    I know relatively little about electricity so this might sound kind of elementary. Say you have a public address system installed in a building, and someone is trying to do a prank that involves playing audio over the loudspeakers. Each loudspeaker has a signal (positive) wire and a ground (negative) wire. If you disconnected one of the speakers and attached the stripped ends of the two wires to the plug of an aux cord connected to a phone or other device, would you be able to use the device to play audio over the whole PA system? From what I understand, a PA system usually has to have an amplifier on the input end to boost the signal from the input; if you were to use just a phone/iPod on a large system, would the signal not be strong enough? I guess what I'm asking is whether you could hypothetically use one of the outputs of an audio system as an input.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

4. Sep 26, 2016 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Thread will remain closed for now.

Why don't you just ask your science teacher about this at your high school? :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook