Public Education is horrid, I can fairly attest.

• Thread starter Blahness
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Education
In summary: Science(Chemistry, Biology, Physics, all of which I am above the level for, but I had to take them anyways). I'm also required to take online classes, which I was fine with, until I found out that I had to PAY for the classes, and the classes weren't worth the money. In summary, Public Education is horrid, I can fairly attest.
My brother's a pefect example of one of those kids you wonder about. You look at him and think "Nice kid but what will become of him?" He lacks logic, study skills, etc. He writes like a second grader, dislikes reading, is mediocre in math at best, hates physical labor of any kind (My Dad called home today and asked that my brother pick up the potatoes he left laying on the rug and place them in a bucket so he could come home and carry them outside. My brother whined "I haven't even gotten to step inside my room yet, I'm always so busy." Mind you, the kid doesn't have ANY chores and never does his homework. Then, he whined about the dirt so I ended up doing it for the lazy wimp.) and has no talents.

He thinks studying for 30 minutes in study hall for a test is enough...then he wonders why he fails his tests. It's like, no matter how long he's been in school, he was never taught what studying is and I can't get that kid to bring his books home for the life of me.:grumpy:

As if that school isn't bad enough, they're having problems with a loony student running around sticking people with a needle. He just walks up to you and pokes you with it and no one knows who's doing it or why. They say they're working on it but my Dad has decided to call down and see what's up before sending my brother back. He's afraid because the teachers told him it's a dangerous situation since they don't know what the kid is doing and they think he's using the same needle which could end up infecting someone.

Physics news on Phys.org
moose said:
With cursive, I learned in first grade, and then in around seventh grade, we stopped using it... ever. When I had computer classes in elementary school, we learned to type and well... use frontpage instead of html.
That sounds like what I had. Cursive was a huge waste of time because nobody can read it. I would write something out, and people would ask "what letter is that" to which I would say "that's an R...". When I got to university, teachers would not accept any assignment written in cursive. I basically had to relearn normal writing. Took a while but I got the hang of it :biggrin:.
As for the typing, I'm so glad they taught me that in elementary. I started off around 10 words per minute, and now I'm up to about 70 words per minute. My brother didn't learn typing in elementary because he's a few years older than me. He never really did learn how to type because it was just never taught to him in school.

Most of english was a huge waste of time. I can tell you 3 different kinds of poetry, but I didn't learn what a "coordinating conjuction" was until last year; that would be university, not any of the standard 12 grades. It's no wonder people have such horrible grammar these days, myself included.

The system as a whole would be a lot better if it was heavily based around math, particularly the language of math. If I write something is ~5, you should know what I mean. If I write {stuff} you should know that I'm indicating stuff is a actually a series of data, not just one number. This would not only help people communicate ideas effectively, but it would make the learning curve of Excel and calculators much easier.
I also think calculus should be manditory for everybody, and it should be introduced earlier on. I remember in grade 11 my physics teacher was trying to show some reaction changing over time. He said the calculations would be easy with calculus, but we had to do things using triangulation because nobody knew what calculus was.

I don't know if I agree with that...See, I'm torn between saying that's a good idea and saying it's a bad idea because not everyone is the same. You can't say "Everyone will be here by the time they graduate" because everyone thinks differently and is capable of different things. For example, I'm better in History and English. I have no problem with either subject and both interest me. Math and Chemistry though are two different things. While I acknowledge that both are important, I'm not nearly naive enough to think every single person in the world will be great at both or need both and that includes me. I can do up to Algebra 2 or so and then anything after that causes me problems. As for Chemistry, I can't go past Biology. English is an entirely different thing though as is History. I, unfortunately, had my last year of History last year:cry: and have reached English 3. I'm just not set up for such subjects and no matter how hard someone pushes me, I won't be motivated to learn it. Instead, I'd be more motivated to move to another country to get away from Trig.:rofl:

yomamma said:
You're like...me.:bugeye:

Half of it is your fault I hope you know. You can't blame everything on the system. A lot of kids think that they aren't doing anything and blah blah. Sure people like you don't deserve to be treated like you are, but it's extremely avoidable and would make you an overall better person.

how am I supposed to avoid our science class JUST teaching us about acceleration (finally) and my computer class which is 99.9% typing?

Plus my math class in which [tex]19-4/x=5[/tex] is our hardest problem so far

ShawnD said:
That sounds like what I had. Cursive was a huge waste of time because nobody can read it. I would write something out, and people would ask "what letter is that" to which I would say "that's an R...". When I got to university, teachers would not accept any assignment written in cursive. I basically had to relearn normal writing. Took a while but I got the hang of it :biggrin:.
As for the typing, I'm so glad they taught me that in elementary. I started off around 10 words per minute, and now I'm up to about 70 words per minute. My brother didn't learn typing in elementary because he's a few years older than me. He never really did learn how to type because it was just never taught to him in school.
Most of english was a huge waste of time. I can tell you 3 different kinds of poetry, but I didn't learn what a "coordinating conjuction" was until last year; that would be university, not any of the standard 12 grades. It's no wonder people have such horrible grammar these days, myself included.
The system as a whole would be a lot better if it was heavily based around math, particularly the language of math. If I write something is ~5, you should know what I mean. If I write {stuff} you should know that I'm indicating stuff is a actually a series of data, not just one number. This would not only help people communicate ideas effectively, but it would make the learning curve of Excel and calculators much easier.
I also think calculus should be manditory for everybody, and it should be introduced earlier on. I remember in grade 11 my physics teacher was trying to show some reaction changing over time. He said the calculations would be easy with calculus, but we had to do things using triangulation because nobody knew what calculus was.

I am glad we learned how to type, but pissed that we used frontpage instead of html. Here are some sample websites that students made with html...

http://sunrisehigh.peoriaud.k12.az.us/sunrise/guidance.htm
see that picture? see how it's 3.5MB, see how it's actually 3500xsomething pixels, but they shrank it in frontpage without even thinking about it?

Well there are tons of examples like that

Anywho, I can now type at around 85 words per minute cruise and around 110 wmp peak... This is mainly through typing a lot everyday through aim while doing my homework (which also involves typing). BUT, I owe it all to where I learned the basics of how to type properly.

About the math thing, I completely agree with you. Today my chiropractor (I'm only 16 but go to one to not have much trouble later on :smile: ) asked me what math class I'm in. I responded with "Precalculus, the class right before calc" and he said "WOAH!". It was a sad moment for me, that somebody could actually think highly of basic math. Also, my sister is a third year physics major and is now taking physics courses which my dad says he had last year of high school (In Poland, he was in a special physics program at high school). My high school goes up to AP Physics I which is just physics with trig, the school doesn't even offer calc based physics! Math teaches common sense and logic, which should be rated above almost every other thing. People who say "My major won't involve math, so I don't need it" are stupid! Today in my physics class (absolutely basic physics, physics without trig or anything) he had one example of something up and it said [tex]sin\theta[/tex] and people were going crazy saying how they don't want to do anything this hard :bugeye: . He just used that as an example, not that we would do anything "that hard" :rolleyes: .

Last edited by a moderator:
yomamma said:
how am I supposed to avoid our science class JUST teaching us about acceleration (finally) and my computer class which is 99.9% typing?
Plus my math class in which [tex]19-4/x=5[/tex] is our hardest problem so far

I thought you were talking about being picked on :redface: .

You can't really avoid your situation... Although when I was in eighth grade, I was doing basic quadratic stuff...

moose said:
Half of it is your fault I hope you know. You can't blame everything on the system. A lot of kids think that they aren't doing anything and blah blah. Sure people like you don't deserve to be treated like you are, but it's extremely avoidable and would make you an overall better person.
How is it avoidable? Think. If that's the way your school district is, that's the way it is, simple. You can roll with the punches but it is not avoidable in some/most cases. How on Earth could I, for example, avoid being stalked and the school ignoring my pleas? How could I avoid working my way up through the system, still learning the same thing over and over? How could I avoid thinking, because that's what one tends to do in such a situation, that my school is right on course only to find out later that it isn't? How am I to avoid the problems I'm having in class due to being behind the norm now? I can't, simply put. I just keep working and roll with it. And my Dad is actually happy with that because he knows the blame is not with me, I'm working my butt off. I've been sitting in front of my computer working on catching up in math (I started late because my school insisted upon me staying in Trig even though I couldn't do it. I was switched last week on Monday and I was behind four chapters or, in other words, about 35 assignments. I'm now behind by just two assignments and I plan on finishing them tonight.) for hours now. Next is Chemistry. I'll be in bed by 2:00AM and back up by 11:00AM for more homework. Then, I'll be at the library from 5:00PM until 8:00PM, volunterring for my Community Service class. I'm not lazy.:wink:

EDIT: Mm, what did you mean by "it's avoidable" though? Upon reading what you posted again, I can't quite figure it out. However, the response I gave was in reply to my first impression of your statement.:rofl: If I got the wrong impression and that makes no sense, I apologize.:smile:

Last edited:
AngelShare said:
EDIT: Mm, what did you mean by "it's avoidable" though? Upon reading what you posted again, I can't quite figure it out. However, the response I gave was in reply to my first impression of your statement.:rofl: If I got the wrong impression and that makes no sense, I apologize.:smile:

Essentially, doing nothing, being quiet, being a loner, blah blah, all leads to being "picked on" or whatever you want to call it.

Over the years, I have seen that what some people think they should do to avoid things is quite the opposite of what actually works. I don't have time to go into detali right now :yuck: I will later.

Social situations are difficult for a lot of intelligent kids, I find. >_<

Blahness said:
Social situations are difficult for a lot of intelligent kids, I find. >_<

That's just a stereotype.

You probably don't know about many intelligent kids at your school, because well... they aren't socially inept. I've found out a few people were really smart, while I would not have guessed it at first AT ALL. Some people just don't expect others to be smart if they seem "normal" in social situations.

Stereotype?

I see. Sorry for the misunderstanding, then.

Anyway, any other notations on the education part of education?

If not, then... does anyone have thoughts about school rules, or non-educational beliefs of teachers/staff?

Blahness said:
If not, then... does anyone have thoughts about school rules, or non-educational beliefs of teachers/staff?

I have a theory for school in general: have stricter language standards for who can go to college. I have some people in my classes who don't even know english. Is that safe to have in a chemistry lab? For one lab, we were dealing with sodium cyanide. Mix that with any acid, and everybody in the chemisty lab dies; yes I'm serious. Would you feel safe knowing that your life is in the hands of people who may or may not be able to understand the instructions saying not to mix it with acid? I was more than ready to shove people out of my way if I had to run for the door that day...

ShawnD said:
I have a theory for school in general: have stricter language standards for who can go to college. I have some people in my classes who don't even know english. Is that safe to have in a chemistry lab? For one lab, we were dealing with sodium cyanide. Mix that with any acid, and everybody in the chemisty lab dies; yes I'm serious. Would you feel safe knowing that your life is in the hands of people who may or may not be able to understand the instructions saying not to mix it with acid? I was more than ready to shove people out of my way if I had to run for the door that day...

I don't agree with this statement. I believe that people who don't know english should never get a job here, but should be able to go to college if they are smart. I would rather see stricter math standards...

The problem is that they never appear to be smart if they can't communicate. You could be as smart as Tesla over in Russia but if you mixed acid with sodium cyanide and killed everybody in the lab, you're not smarter than the dumbest person alive before you.

Math standards are also all over the place. People going into college should pass a test on at LEAST:

Arithmetic
Algebra
Geometry
Trigonometry(spx.x)

At MINIMUM. And make the tests at least half-way thought inducing!

Anyway, since I'm hounding this topic, any other behavioural ideas?

1 last notation: In a few days, i'll start bouncing ideas of possible fixes for school systems, to see the possible legitimancy for them.

Thank yeh,
~Blah

Last edited:
ShawnD said:
The problem is that they never appear to be smart if they can't communicate. You could be as smart as Tesla over in Russia but if you mixed acid with sodium cyanide and killed everybody in the lab, you're not smarter than the dumbest person alive before you.

Are you paranoid about dieing in the lab?

If not, you certainly sound VERY PARANOID!

Who wouldn't be paranoid about dying in the lab. Cyanide is a colorless gas that acts like the supercharged version of carbon monoxide. Kill you real quick :biggrin:

Last week the foreigner from china completely destroyed a Thermal Conductivity Detector (TCD) in one of the Gas Chromatographs (GC) because she turned off the carrier gas before turning off the detector. It may have been a simple mistake, but I think it has more to do with her not understanding English. If I'm not able to explain anything to her, what chance does the instructor have? I really hope that $2000 piece of equipment goes on her tab.