Overcoming Fear of Public Speaking: My Journey as a Teacher

• Thread starter outlier
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Teacher
In summary, if you are a high school student, you can enroll in a speech class to help build your confidence. If you are going to college, you can take a speech class or a speech communication class. If you hope to become a teacher, it is important to learn about lesson planning. You should also be aware of your audience and what you want them to be able to do upon completing the lesson.
outlier
Greetings, everyone. I have often considered teaching math or science at the community college level or above. The one thing holding me back from pursuing this is my crippling fear of public speaking. I can barely ask a question in class without breaking into a cold sweat and feeling like I want to throw up. A few years ago I was willing to drop a whole letter grade rather than give a presentation. Has anyone else dealt with this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
The only way to get over this is with practice. I had an anxiety attack the night before I had to teach my first class - up all night, couldn't breathe, chest pains, etc. It's been a few years, but I volunteered to give talks and teach classes as often as I could, and I'm nearly over it now. Very mild nervousness at the most. See if you can take a public speaking class at a local college.

Less worry is necessary -- what to do: Are you in high school? Enroll in a speech class and follow instructions and study. You will learn about speaking in front of a group. Are you going to college? Take a speech class or a speech communication class and obtain good instruction and exercises for presenting a discussion to a group. Do you hope to become a teacher and maybe teach at a community college? Even better ---- Learn about lesson planning. You decide (usually) before each class meeting what you will present and how you would present it. From there, you just follow your (usually written) plan. You usually want to be clear about what you want students to be able to do upon completion of a lesson. YOU decide how to achieve this and you discuss the ideas and give examples, and then ask the class and individuals to participate with varying extents of teacher-assistance/guidance. Other associated activities are also necessary, but you determine those as the course you teach progresses.

outlier said:
Has anyone else dealt with this problem?

Yes. I had to give a presentation in my intro to engineering class and about 2 hours before class I went running to burn off some energy. I had time to shower before class and the presentation went very well - although I volunteered to go first which I hoped would reduce the increase in anxiety while waiting my turn.

Two days later I had to give an on-the-spot presentation in my health class. It was ordered alphabetically and I am near the end of the alphabet. It was extremely stressful and I am confused as to how the human body can react so undesirably to such an innocent situation. I had to fight the urge to just get up from the class and leave.

I felt I had a top performance in my engineering presentation and a near bottom performance in the health class presentation. However, I received praise from both professors and it leads me to believe, it is my own internal hell. Unfortunately, just knowing that is not enough to stave off the anxiety.

I feel spontaneous presentations or speeches are a particular weakness with me and I try to avoid them at nearly all costs. I, too, would like to overcome this problem.

jason

outlier said:
Greetings, everyone. I have often considered teaching math or science at the community college level or above. The one thing holding me back from pursuing this is my crippling fear of public speaking. I can barely ask a question in class without breaking into a cold sweat and feeling like I want to throw up. A few years ago I was willing to drop a whole letter grade rather than give a presentation. Has anyone else dealt with this problem?

Have you asked yourself why you are afraid of public speaking? Perhaps it is due to a lack of self-confidence or a fear of not being accepted by your classmates. Generally speaking, if one feels completely comfortable with the material that one is presenting, presenting the material to an audience is equally comfortable.

CS

Fear of public speaking is rarely addressed in academia. And yet it's vitually impossible to pursue a professorship without speaking at department colloquia, conferences, giving lectures, and of course - the dreaded oral exams.

Personally I find speaking at conferences the most intimidating. You have to stand in front of sometimes hundreds of people - most of whom are experts in your field, some of whom are working on the exact same problem, and a few of whom will challenge you with unexpected questions.

There are things you can do to help you with your fear. I might recommend taking a course in public speaking, or failing that some kind of dramatic arts. You could also join or start a Toastmasters chapter (although I personally found the only Toastmasters meeting I attended rather annoying). Either way, the more you practice, the easier it gets. Start with small, familiar groups and expand from there.

If it helps, I consider myself a confident public speaker, but I still get very nervous before giving a talk.

I would suggest trying out Toastmasters International. Also, if you can get a floodlight shone directly into your eyes so you can't see anyone, that helps a lot!

Look for a workshop or course on public speaking or teaching. The more you are prepared, the easier it gets. EVERYONE gets a bad case of jitters before their first major public speaking event (usually a department seminar or first class to teach). That improves with practice and growing confidence in your speaking ability and knowledge of the subject you're speaking about.

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the advice. I always get so inspired when I come to this website.

I have recently returned to college after a 10 year absence. I was a journalism major (:yuck:) before. As an electrician in the Navy I learned a little bit about physics and it really sparked my interest. Now that I am pursuing a dual degree in chemistry and physics I am out of my comfort zone. I think that's why I'm hesitant to speak up in class. However, I love these challenging classes and would like to help others feel the same excitement I do when I learn something new.

I think I would make a good professor and it would be a shame for me to not pursue this just because I have this public speaking fear.

I'll have to see if they have a Toastmasters chapter in my local area. And I'm going to quit putting off taking a public speaking class and just do it. So, wish me luck. If you see a story in the news about someone spontaneously combusting before they gave a speech, that was me, ha ha!

1. What inspired you to share your journey of overcoming fear of public speaking as a teacher?

I have always been passionate about teaching and helping others. However, my fear of public speaking was holding me back from fully reaching my potential as a teacher. After successfully overcoming my fear, I felt a strong desire to share my journey with others who may be struggling with the same issue. I hope to inspire and encourage others to overcome their fears and become more confident speakers.

2. How did you initially develop a fear of public speaking?

My fear of public speaking developed from a combination of factors such as childhood shyness, lack of confidence, and negative experiences with public speaking in the past. As a teacher, I was constantly required to speak in front of large groups of students and parents, which only intensified my fear. It took a lot of self-reflection and determination to overcome this fear and become a more confident speaker.

3. What strategies did you use to overcome your fear of public speaking?

I tried various strategies such as practicing deep breathing techniques, rehearsing my presentations, and seeking support from colleagues and mentors. However, the most effective strategy for me was exposure therapy, where I gradually exposed myself to more speaking opportunities and learned to manage my fear through practice and positive self-talk. It also helped to remind myself that making mistakes is a natural part of the learning process and that it's okay to not be perfect.

4. How has overcoming your fear of public speaking impacted your teaching career?

Overcoming my fear of public speaking has had a tremendous impact on my teaching career. Not only am I now able to confidently speak in front of large groups, but I have also become a more engaging and effective teacher. I am able to connect with my students and deliver lessons in a more dynamic and engaging manner. It has also opened up new opportunities for me, such as presenting at conferences and workshops, which has helped me grow both personally and professionally.

5. What advice do you have for others who are struggling with a fear of public speaking?

My advice would be to acknowledge and confront your fear, rather than avoiding it. Seek support from colleagues, friends, or a professional if needed. Practice and preparation are key to overcoming fear, so don't be afraid to rehearse your presentations and seek feedback. Remember that everyone makes mistakes, and it's okay to make them. Lastly, have confidence in yourself and your abilities, and believe that you are capable of overcoming your fear and becoming a confident speaker.