Public speaking

• Thread starter klusener
  • Start date
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Gza said:
how was tribdog voted the funniest member? Is the sense of humor of this board lacking that much?

He won by melting his carpet with a bottle of soda he was trying to thaw with a MAAP torch. We were all too afraid of what might happen if we didn't vote for him, and we thought if the volcano ever went out, he'd be able to re-light it after we threw him in. Funniest member just means we laugh at him the most. :rolleyes: :rofl:

Moonbear said:
He won by melting his carpet with a bottle of soda he was trying to thaw with a MAAP torch. We were all too afraid of what might happen if we didn't vote for him, and we thought if the volcano ever went out, he'd be able to re-light it after we threw him in. Funniest member just means we laugh at him the most. :rolleyes: :rofl:
stop, you are too kind

This is not directly advice, but regarding public speaking in schools... I have a friend who went to high school in brussel and in their final exams they had both a written and a spoken part. He had to give coherent answers on the fly about essay type questions. So, it seems public speaking is valued pretty highly over there and I suppose it is the case in all central european countries.

Another thing I've noticed is that there appears to be some differences between countries in what is perceived as good public speaking. In Finland a long pause before answering and slowly put words tends to be a sign of consideration and knowledge about the subject. On the other hand, (judging from my Swiss cosines and news reports) in the french speaking countries you better start talking right away after receiving a question, pile up facts and in the end repeat your most important points as your conclusion, or you will be seen as slow.

These kinds of cultural differences are worth to keep in mind when judging other's performances and planning your own speech.

One real advantage of public speaking, for those of us who are not terribly outspoken because we worry that others don't think they want to listen to us, is that most people, where public speakers are concerned, are polite listeners. This means you can complete your thoughts. If you are able to do this well, it can really improve people's perception of you. For example, I am a fairly funny guy, but I am basically shy so only those really close to me knew this about me, until I got a chance to do standup comedy a few times. Afterwards, people came up to me and said, "I never knew you were so funny."

Artman said:
One real advantage of public speaking, for those of us who are not terribly outspoken because we worry that others don't think they want to listen to us, is that most people, where public speakers are concerned, are polite listeners. This means you can complete your thoughts. If you are able to do this well, it can really improve people's perception of you. For example, I am a fairly funny guy, but I am basically shy so only those really close to me knew this about me, until I got a chance to do standup comedy a few times. Afterwards, people came up to me and said, "I never knew you were so funny."

Agreed. And to backtrack to my previous post about differences in posting here and public speaking: nobody will interrupt you when typing and I think those who begin to read a post will finish it.

Gza
He won by melting his carpet with a bottle of soda he was trying to thaw with a MAAP torch. We were all too afraid of what might happen if we didn't vote for him, and we thought if the volcano ever went out, he'd be able to re-light it after we threw him in. Funniest member just means we laugh at him the most.

lol, good enough for me, i can always use another person to laugh at!

Gza said:
lol, good enough for me, i can always use another person to laugh at!
good, I'm sure you don't find many people you can laugh at.

JasonRox said:
Take Drama Class.

That's what I did. They spend the first month making you comfortable, and then it gets better from there.

Now, I really enjoy it.

An Interpersonal Communications class will do the same. I'm taking one now and I can already tell it's helping.