1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Publishing vs Posting

1. Dec 3, 2014 #1
    If a person is in no need to publish anything for a career or to get their PHD then what is the benefit to publishing work vs just posting it on the internet if all you are trying to do is spread a theory/concept?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2014 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Because there's a gazillion of this type of garbage floating around the 'net. What would be the point of putting another one out there simply for it to disappear into oblivion?

Zz.

4. Dec 3, 2014 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Validation. Posting on the internet gets you ZERO validation. Only publishing in a mainstream, approved, peer reviewed journal counts. Don't be fooled by predatory journals that will publish any garbage if you pay them.

5. Dec 3, 2014 #4
    I suppose, it just seems there should be a better way to do it. To have honest peer reviews is a valuable thing.
    Per ZapperZ's comment though, I feel like a published article could slip into oblivion just as easily.

6. Dec 3, 2014 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Publishing doesn't guarantee notoriety or recognition. But your work is forever archived and recorded long after you are gone. And if it is in one of the more reputable journals, it is almost a guarantee that you WILL get several citations.

Nothing similar can be said about posting some random, unverified ideas just on the web. So no, I disagree with the "just as easily" categorization. Slipping into oblivion is easier and more likely for such postings.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook