Posting vs Publishing: Benefits & Dangers

• Thread starter mcjosep
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Publishing
In summary: Publishing doesn't guarantee notoriety or recognition. But your work is forever archived and recorded long after you are gone. And if it is in one of the more reputable journals, it is almost a guarantee that you WILL get several citations.Validation. Posting on the internet gets you ZERO validation. Only publishing in a mainstream, approved, peer reviewed journal counts. Don't be fooled by predatory journals that will publish any garbage if you pay them.I suppose, it just seems there should be a better way to do it. To have honest peer reviews is a valuable thing.Per ZapperZ's comment though, I feel like a published article could slip into oblivion just as easily.Nothing similar can be said about
mcjosep
If a person is in no need to publish anything for a career or to get their PHD then what is the benefit to publishing work vs just posting it on the internet if all you are trying to do is spread a theory/concept?

Physics news on Phys.org
mcjosep said:
If a person is in no need to publish anything for a career or to get their PHD then what is the benefit to publishing work vs just posting it on the internet if all you are trying to do is spread a theory/concept?

Because there's a gazillion of this type of garbage floating around the 'net. What would be the point of putting another one out there simply for it to disappear into oblivion?

Zz.

mcjosep said:
Validation. Posting on the internet gets you ZERO validation. Only publishing in a mainstream, approved, peer reviewed journal counts. Don't be fooled by predatory journals that will publish any garbage if you pay them.

I suppose, it just seems there should be a better way to do it. To have honest peer reviews is a valuable thing.
Per ZapperZ's comment though, I feel like a published article could slip into oblivion just as easily.

mcjosep said:
I suppose, it just seems there should be a better way to do it. To have honest peer reviews is a valuable thing.
Per ZapperZ's comment though, I feel like a published article could slip into oblivion just as easily.

Publishing doesn't guarantee notoriety or recognition. But your work is forever archived and recorded long after you are gone. And if it is in one of the more reputable journals, it is almost a guarantee that you WILL get several citations.

Nothing similar can be said about posting some random, unverified ideas just on the web. So no, I disagree with the "just as easily" categorization. Slipping into oblivion is easier and more likely for such postings.

Zz.

What is the difference between posting and publishing?

Posting refers to sharing content on a personal or public platform, such as social media, without any formal editing or review process. Publishing, on the other hand, involves a more formal process of editing, reviewing, and distributing content through a reputable source, such as a journal or book.

What are the benefits of posting?

Posting allows for quick and easy sharing of ideas and information with a wide audience. It also allows for immediate feedback and interaction with others, promoting collaboration and community building.

What are the dangers of posting?

The main danger of posting is that the content is not properly vetted or fact-checked, which can lead to the spread of misinformation. Additionally, once something is posted online, it can be difficult to completely remove or control who sees it.

What are the benefits of publishing?

Publishing involves a rigorous review process, which ensures that the content is accurate and of high quality. It also adds credibility and legitimacy to the content, making it more likely to be trusted and referenced by others.

What are the dangers of publishing?

One potential danger of publishing is the risk of rejection or criticism from peers and experts in the field. Additionally, publishing can be a time-consuming and competitive process, and there is no guarantee that the content will reach a wide audience.