Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pubs associated with physicists

1. Nov 25, 2008 #1
    hello everybody (!)

i'm not 100% this is the most appropriate place for this question, but it seemed the best...

there are some fairly well known associations between, say, authors and drinking holes (such as 'the dove' in hammersmith with graham green/hemingway) but are there any similar associations between pubs / inns / bars and any famous physicists? i've had a quick google around and can't seem to find any, so i thought here might know :-)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The Eagle in Cambridge is opposite the old cavendish and has a plaque claiming it was where the structure of DNA was discovered.

4. Nov 25, 2008 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Gianonni's - the topless bar that Feynman frequented and, I think, testified on behalf of, when the city of Pasadena (or maybe, Altadena) tried to shut it down.

5. Nov 26, 2008 #4

baywax

Gold Member

A very successful medical physicist told me about a phenomenon in physics that was discovered by watching the bubbles in a glass of beer.

Does anyone know who discovered it or what the function was?

6. Nov 26, 2008 #5

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Donald Glaser invented the bubble chamber (particle physics detector) supposedly form watching a stream of bubbles rising in a beer glass.

7. Nov 26, 2008 #6

baywax

Gold Member

Ah ha.. this had to do with why the bubble rise and fall. Cool.

8. Nov 26, 2008 #7

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

More that the gas in the bear needs a tiny nucleation site (dust/scratch) to start forming a bubble stream.
    So you have a large detected seen consequence of a tiny invisible source.

Of course you would need almost-transparent, weak as ...., gassy beer to do this - which explains why the cloud chamber was discovered in Scotland and the bubble chamber in the USA.

9. Nov 26, 2008 #8

baywax

Gold Member

Very interesting. Which American pub uses beer to detect particles? (snicker)

10. Nov 26, 2008 #9
    The Scottish Cafe in Lvov might be the closest thing that math has. A lot of the Polish math crew (Banach, Ulam, Marcinkiewicz, Steinhaus, Borsuk, Kac, Saks, Kuratowski, etc) used to hang out there a lot, and get a lot done even if it was busy & crowded, esp Banach. They recorded all the problems they came up with in a notebook, which is still there for anyone who wants to look at it (even though it has been published). Some are still unsolved; I think the Invariant Subspace problem is one of them.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?