1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Puck Collision

1. Nov 5, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two identical pucks are on an air table. Puck A has an initial velocity of 2.6 m/s in the positive x-direction. Puck B is at rest. Puck A collides elastically with puck B and A moves off at 2.50 m/s at an angle of +16.3° above the x-axis. What is the speed and direction of puck B after the collision? (Take angles above the x axis to be positive and below to be negative.)
    _____ m/s at -73.7 °

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I got the angle but I have no idea what the speed would be. Does anybody have like a ball park figure of what it would be? because the answers i get dont even make sense.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2007 #2
    velocity is a vector so you find it by finding the resultant vector if you have the angle then you must have Vx and Vy, therefore you can find V
  4. Nov 5, 2007 #3
    no i dont have Vx and Vy, i just applied the physics of pool where hitting a ball on another ball will result in a total angle of 90 degrees. So i do not know where or how to find the V.
  5. Nov 5, 2007 #4
    In an elastic collision you will have conservation of momentum and energy. That gives you 3 equations to work with because you have momentum in both the x direction and perpendicular to it -- the y direction?
  6. Nov 6, 2007 #5

Homework Helper

you've got the direction. just use a mass m for the puck. what is the total energy before the collision in terms of m. let vb be the velocity of puck B after the collision. what is the total energy after the collision in terms of m and vb...

set the energy before = energy after.

solve for vb.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?