1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Puck on Ice

1. Sep 20, 2013 #1
    A hockey puck on a frozen pond with an initial speed of 12.3 m/s stops after sliding a distance of 198.9 m. Calculate the average value of the coefficient of kinetic friction between the puck and the ice.

So I started with finding the acceleration. I divided 12.3m/s by 198.9m then took the inverse (so units would go back seconds) and came up with 16.17s. So now I have Δv and Δt so I divided 12.3m/s by 16.17s to get an acceleration of .76m/s^2

I also know that friction equals μN and that F=ma. Since N=mg and friction is the only force acting on the object, i divided the mass out. So I had μg=a, or μ=a/g. (using 9.81m/s^2 as gravity) So μ=.0774 which seemed reasonable for ice. But I dont know how to find the actual force without knowing the mass. Am I even heading in the right direction?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

That does not work.
    To travel 198.9m in 16.17s, it would have to travel at 12.3m/s the whole time, which is clearly not the case. You need a different approach here.

That part is good, once you fix your acceleration value. You cannot, and do not have to, calculate the force.

4. Sep 21, 2013 #3
    Then how do I find acceleration? I don't have time..

5. Sep 21, 2013 #4
    But you do know lots of other things. For example, you know the initial and the final speeds. I think it's okay to assume uniform acceleration here. You probably have a list of equations for dealing with this sort of motion that look something like, for example, v = u + at.

What you need to do is find an equation that includes the quantities that you know along with the acceleration. Then there's some algebra to find a.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted