Calculating Coefficient of Kinetic Friction for a Hockey Puck

In summary, the question asks for the average value of the coefficient of kinetic friction between a hockey puck and the ice, given that the puck starts with an initial speed of 12.3 m/s and slides a distance of 198.9 m before stopping. The conversation discusses finding the acceleration of the puck and using the equation F=ma to find the coefficient of kinetic friction. However, it is concluded that the force cannot be calculated without knowing the mass of the puck. Instead, the conversation suggests finding an equation that includes the known quantities and the acceleration and using algebra to solve for the acceleration.
Psyguy22
A hockey puck on a frozen pond with an initial speed of 12.3 m/s stops after sliding a distance of 198.9 m. Calculate the average value of the coefficient of kinetic friction between the puck and the ice.

So I started with finding the acceleration. I divided 12.3m/s by 198.9m then took the inverse (so units would go back seconds) and came up with 16.17s. So now I have Δv and Δt so I divided 12.3m/s by 16.17s to get an acceleration of .76m/s^2

I also know that friction equals μN and that F=ma. Since N=mg and friction is the only force acting on the object, i divided the mass out. So I had μg=a, or μ=a/g. (using 9.81m/s^2 as gravity) So μ=.0774 which seemed reasonable for ice. But I don't know how to find the actual force without knowing the mass. Am I even heading in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Psyguy22 said:
So I started with finding the acceleration. I divided 12.3m/s by 198.9m then took the inverse (so units would go back seconds) and came up with 16.17s. So now I have Δv and Δt so I divided 12.3m/s by 16.17s to get an acceleration of .76m/s^2
That does not work.
To travel 198.9m in 16.17s, it would have to travel at 12.3m/s the whole time, which is clearly not the case. You need a different approach here.

I also know that friction equals μN and that F=ma. Since N=mg and friction is the only force acting on the object, i divided the mass out. So I had μg=a, or μ=a/g. (using 9.81m/s^2 as gravity) So μ=.0774 which seemed reasonable for ice. But I don't know how to find the actual force without knowing the mass. Am I even heading in the right direction?
That part is good, once you fix your acceleration value. You cannot, and do not have to, calculate the force.

Then how do I find acceleration? I don't have time..

But you do know lots of other things. For example, you know the initial and the final speeds. I think it's okay to assume uniform acceleration here. You probably have a list of equations for dealing with this sort of motion that look something like, for example, v = u + at.

What you need to do is find an equation that includes the quantities that you know along with the acceleration. Then there's some algebra to find a.

Yes, you are heading in the right direction. To calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction, you need to first calculate the acceleration of the hockey puck. This can be done by dividing the initial velocity by the distance traveled, as you have correctly done.

Next, you need to find the normal force acting on the puck. This is the force that the ice exerts on the puck, which is equal to the weight of the puck (mg). Since you do not have the mass of the puck, you can use the formula μ = a/g, where μ is the coefficient of kinetic friction, a is the acceleration you calculated, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.81 m/s^2).

Therefore, μ = 0.76 m/s^2 / 9.81 m/s^2 = 0.0774. This is the average value of the coefficient of kinetic friction between the puck and the ice.

To find the actual force of friction, you can use the formula F = μN, where F is the force of friction, μ is the coefficient of kinetic friction, and N is the normal force. Since you have already calculated μ, you can now find the force of friction by multiplying it by the normal force (mg).

In conclusion, your calculation of the coefficient of kinetic friction for the hockey puck on the frozen pond seems reasonable and correct. However, to find the actual force of friction, you will need to know the mass of the puck.

1. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction for a hockey puck?

The coefficient of kinetic friction for a hockey puck is a measure of the amount of friction between the puck and the surface it is moving on. It is denoted by the symbol "μk" and is usually a decimal value between 0 and 1.

2. How is the coefficient of kinetic friction calculated for a hockey puck?

The coefficient of kinetic friction for a hockey puck can be calculated by dividing the force of friction by the normal force of the surface. The force of friction is equal to the coefficient of kinetic friction multiplied by the normal force.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of kinetic friction for a hockey puck?

The coefficient of kinetic friction for a hockey puck can be affected by factors such as the type of surface the puck is moving on, the temperature of the surface, and the weight of the puck. It can also be affected by the material of the puck and any additives on the surface, such as water or ice.

4. Why is calculating the coefficient of kinetic friction important for hockey?

Calculating the coefficient of kinetic friction for a hockey puck is important because it helps players and coaches understand the behavior of the puck on different surfaces. It can also help determine the best type of surface for playing hockey and can aid in improving the performance of players.

5. How can the coefficient of kinetic friction be reduced for a hockey puck?

The coefficient of kinetic friction for a hockey puck can be reduced by using lubricants on the surface, such as ice or wax, which can decrease the amount of friction between the puck and the surface. Additionally, reducing the weight of the puck and using smoother materials can also help decrease the coefficient of kinetic friction.