Understanding the Slang Term 'Puff' in Capacitor Measurements

• Thread starter lennybogzy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitor
In summary, engineers and techs often use the term "puff" as shorthand for picofarad when referring to capacitors. This is not slang, but a commonly used verbal abbreviation in their field.
lennybogzy
'puff' capacitor??

I work with a bunch of engineers/techs and they refer to (for example) a 100pF cap as a "100 puff" cap. What the hell are they talking about? Is this slang

Engineering news on Phys.org

lennybogzy said:
I work with a bunch of engineers/techs and they refer to (for example) a 100pF cap as a "100 puff" cap. What the hell are they talking about? Is this slang

LOL. It's verbal shorthand for a picofarad, 10^-12 Farads.

Puff the magic dragon ?

crx said:
Puff the magic dragon ?

No, silly. pF the magic dragon. :rofl:

Now, is it pronounced GigaWatts, or JigaWatts? That's a much more important question.

crx said:
Puff the magic dragon ?

Code:
Puff the magic capacitor lived by the inductor,
And wallowed in the coulomb charge in a land called resonance.

Little Jackie paper was a dielectric,
Not as good as polypropylene or other fancy polymers. Oh

:wink:

Last edited:

Great thanks for the replies thAt's what I figured. I used the term picofarad and they looked at me all wierd. I got to be cool, start sayin puff. "yeH man just pop a 10 puff cap up in here an let's hit the club"

1. What is a 'puff' capacitor?

A 'puff' capacitor is a type of electrolytic capacitor that has experienced a catastrophic failure, causing it to bulge or "puff" up due to internal pressure. This can happen due to overvoltage, overheating, or other factors.

2. How does a 'puff' capacitor affect circuit performance?

A 'puff' capacitor will no longer function as intended and can cause malfunction or failure of the circuit it is a part of. It can also potentially cause damage to other components in the circuit.

3. Can a 'puff' capacitor be repaired?

No, a 'puff' capacitor cannot be repaired and must be replaced. Attempting to use a damaged capacitor can be dangerous and may cause further damage to the circuit.

4. How can I prevent 'puff' capacitors from occurring?

To prevent 'puff' capacitors, it is important to use capacitors that are rated for the specific voltage and temperature requirements of the circuit. It is also important to properly monitor and maintain the circuit to prevent overvoltage or overheating.

5. Are 'puff' capacitors a common occurrence?

While 'puff' capacitors do occur, they are not a common occurrence. They typically happen due to extreme conditions or improper usage. By following proper guidelines and using high-quality components, the likelihood of a 'puff' capacitor can be greatly reduced.